• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My opinion only, based on some I have seen. Just seems to be a deliberate but indecisive mismatch. Follows a rule but feels more like a fetish.

The Chai

Reaction score
I have never really gone for brown horn myself with my navy suits. It’s either navy horn/corozo for the suits...or smoked mop or blackish brown horn for blazer suits/scs

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never really gone for brown horn myself with my navy suits. It’s either navy horn/corozo for the suits...or smoked mop or blackish brown horn for blazer suits/scs
I bought a navy RLPL suit years ago that came with brown horn buttons. I ended up switching them out for navy corozo buttons. The brown just didn't look right. Not terrible but just not right for some reason.

The Chai

Reaction score
I bought a navy RLPL suit years ago that came with brown horn buttons. I ended up switching them out for navy corozo buttons. The brown just didn't look right. Not terrible but just not right for some reason.
Yeah I know what you mean...it just looks off...it sounds good in theory but for some reason just feels odd

The Chai

Reaction score
I know a lot of ppl advise against navy horn or corozo but I really like them with navy suits...especially mohair. If the cloth is crisp and summery I think that’s the best buttons u can use

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of ppl advise against navy horn or corozo but I really like them with navy suits...especially mohair. If the cloth is crisp and summery I think that’s the best buttons u can use
The RLPL I mentioned is a Navy DB in a very light fabric.Not quite a summer suit but close. I was going to use darker buttons but the navy matches the suit well.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always stayed away from lightweight linen. 12 oz minimum. 14 oz good too. The weight helps with the wrinkles.
Every time I see an iGent in heavyweight linen, I say, there goes a guy in a heavyweight wrinkled suit. This is opposed to Italian linens, which result in a wrinkled suit.

It is a bit like calf and Cordovan - both are going to crease. I don't see sweating more to achieve a subtly different wrinkle

The Chai

Reaction score
Every time I see an iGent in heavyweight linen, I say, there goes a guy in a heavyweight wrinkled suit. This is opposed to Italian linens, which result in a wrinkled suit.

It is a bit like calf and Cordovan - both are going to crease. I don't see sweating more to achieve a subtly different wrinkle
I don’t really care about the wrinkles. I like the heavier linens more for feel and durability. Soft linens feel limo for me

classicalthunde

Reaction score
to loop back to the herringbone discussion earlier, does anyone have any recommendations for a browish-grey large scale herringbone like the image below from The Armoury?

Attachments

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like every time I have a pair of trousers made in lightweight linen they wear out after a year at my crotch
Same here. Had a nice brown linen suit from Belvest and the crotch wore out after a few seasons. Also, I prefer linen that doesn't wrinkle too much and is not too shiny. Blends work best for me.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's really about rumple vs wrinkle.

Bromley

Reaction score
Looks like the Lovat Etrick might have one herringbone tweed at that scale. Hard to tell form photos, of course. And not as nice a color.

The Ettrick herringbone is really nice, but it's very different from that original LL Shetland herringbone, both in scale and feel. The only cloths I've seen that are similar to the LL Shetland have been in overcoat bunches.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 83 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 138 29.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%