• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tangentially related to the topic of herringbone tweeds - are different merchant versions of Harris Tweed all relatively the same except for the design aspect? I notice that W. Bill has some, and so does Holland and Sherry, and I'm sure many more...Is the term Harris Tweed like a DOP?

Asking cause I'm looking for recommendations for a grey herringbone tweed in the 13-16oz range...and leaning towards the Holland and Sherry one (cause i liked the way it looked on the Steed instagram) but am open to other (read: more affordable) options...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tangentially related to the topic of herringbone tweeds - are different merchant versions of Harris Tweed all relatively the same except for the design aspect? I notice that W. Bill has some, and so does Holland and Sherry, and I'm sure many more...Is the term Harris Tweed like a DOP?

Asking cause I'm looking for recommendations for a grey herringbone tweed in the 13-16oz range...and leaning towards the Holland and Sherry one (cause i liked the way it looked on the Steed instagram) but am open to other (read: more affordable) options...

the harris ive handled has all been mostly the same except for design. that said, design matters a lot.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Harris Tweed from Urgha Loom Shed and it is noticeably more dense/less spongy than some other Harris Tweeds I have handled. I have always wanted a plain charcoal sport coat.

*Edit: Note it is single width so order double.
IMG_7301.jpg

Worth a look.

-DL

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yanagi

Reaction score
This is a kinda cool / kinda tricky to wear navy and cream herringbone -> http://www.taobhtuathtweeds.com/12-x-12-herringbone/

I say tricky to wear as I am not a OCBD guy - if you have white OCBD, you are golden

I think the trickiness comes from the cream part of the herringbone; it becomes a much lighter blue overall, so your typical blue shirt wouldn't create enough (or any) contrast.

But an OCBD in either white or pink would work well.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. A few months back, I picked up some of EdMorel's Cashmere/Silk Zegna x Vacheron Constantin cloth. I think it's 51% Silk/49% Cashmere in a fairly muted dark blue barleycorn.
dscf6897-jpg.1206081

It has an incredibly smooth handle, It's a beautiful fabric, but I'm struggling to decide what to do with it.

I have a jacket's length (would be too delicate to wear as a two piece).
The three options I'm currently weighing up are:
1.) Standard Sport Coat - I generally only wear very soft Neapolitan style 3r2, so something like that.
2.) Single Breasted Peak Lapel jacket. Not something I've ever done, but I figured this fabric has a certain formality about it, so it could work. I was thinking a one button with jetted pockets. Not sure when I'd wear that though.
3.) Alternative evening wear DB Shawl - 4 on 1 with jetted pockets, something along the lines of this. I picture a jacket with a white shirt and charcoal pants. Possibly with a silk bandana tied round the neck on an open collar (although I understand that is almost certainly a bit too rakish for this thread/forum!)

Would love some ideas/input!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a sucker for the sbpl. I personally think it would look good as a minimalist jacket for a night out

CorozoButton

Reaction score
I think a sbpl demands one button...u could go two but I think one looks better for the elegant minimalist look
I agree. My concern is my style is very much lack of structure, no shoulder padding, and I wonder if that will clash a little with the formality of the peak lapel, especially if I'm going minimal with one button and jetted pockets. Do you have any pictures of SBPLs (yours or others) that you think really nails it?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. My concern is my style is very much lack of structure, no shoulder padding, and I wonder if that will clash a little with the formality of the peak lapel, especially if I'm going minimal with one button and jetted pockets. Do you have any pictures of SBPLs (yours or others) that you think really nails it?
I am of the opinion a peak lapel can look sharp and relaxed. I’m currently playing with the idea of a 1b sbpl cream suit with spalla camicia shoulders. Don’t currently have any photos of myself as I recently formatted my phone but here are some images of others I have collected on my Dropbox for inspiration. I think it’s a very very specific casual look. Think monotonous tones. I wouldn’t wear it with a tie per se (though I regularly wear it with a tie and charcoal cav twill odd trousers) but with dark (think navy/black/charcoal) long sleeve polos, turtlenecks, plain white/cream shirt and knits or plain white/cream shirt combo. It’s a modern lounge lizard look

Attachments

• 8EA930A9-0DC2-4C82-8B55-6352E7DBA396.jpeg
    8EA930A9-0DC2-4C82-8B55-6352E7DBA396.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 5CEE92A7-D599-4DAB-82C9-11716A50E39A.jpeg
    5CEE92A7-D599-4DAB-82C9-11716A50E39A.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 51
  • FC387E6F-28BF-42D7-B2EB-94DD2EDF0CAA.jpeg
    FC387E6F-28BF-42D7-B2EB-94DD2EDF0CAA.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 95F507CA-CFDA-4615-9202-5C6126824CFD.jpeg
    95F507CA-CFDA-4615-9202-5C6126824CFD.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 18E8776A-AB07-4103-9965-B6168EDAD776.jpeg
    18E8776A-AB07-4103-9965-B6168EDAD776.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 68

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads