• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

reidd

Reaction score
MB's stuff looks fantastic but for roughly 1/3 the price, I'm beyond enamored with the stuff I have gotten from Naples.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MB's stuff looks fantastic but for roughly 1/3 the price, I'm beyond enamored with the stuff I have gotten from Naples.
Exactly this. I was talking to a Parisian tailor whose work I really admire. His prices were 2.25x as expensive as my tailor in Italy, and I work with one of the more expensive ones there.

buddyfuzz

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, as it isn't a query regarding cloth for bespoke/MTM, but I was looking at two pure cashmere coats in Suitsupply. One was cloth from Colombo, and the other Carlo Barbera. Does anyone have any opinion on if one should expect a difference in quality between the cloths?

HuggyBear

Reaction score
I only use Steed and Formosa and won't be switching any time soon. I don't want to think about what C&M or Michael Browne's prices are like given the new tariffs.
Ha, I missed out Steed. I have no doubt he can do as well as C&M and MB. There was a time all three were in the same place on the row... good choice 👍🏾

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, as it isn't a query regarding cloth for bespoke/MTM, but I was looking at two pure cashmere coats in Suitsupply. One was cloth from Colombo, and the other Carlo Barbera. Does anyone have any opinion on if one should expect a difference in quality between the cloths?
I have no experience with Colombo, but Carlo Barbera (at least the old stuff) was exceptional.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I missed out Steed. I have no doubt he can do as well as C&M and MB. There was a time all three were in the same place on the row... good choice 👍🏾
The lapped seams I saw from C&M were a bit more pronounced than what I’m looking to do. I will see how things work out next year.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually don't love lapped seams on everything. I like it on sportcoats and I like it on trouser outseams, but all else is kind of handwork for handwork's sake and a bit too flashy.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't love lapped seams on everything. I like it on sportcoats and I like it on trouser outseams, but all else is kind of handwork for handwork's sake and a bit too flashy.
Let's hope I didn't choose the wrong piece to do it with because this looks awful.

dan'l

Reaction score
^ Isn’t that one by Liverano? I seem to recall Simon had a purple SC from Liverano, but not sure if that’s it.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Isn’t that one by Liverano? I seem to recall Simon had a purple SC from Liverano, but not sure if that’s it.
That's the one.

Is lapped seams the same as pick stitching spaced from the lapel seam?
See shoulder seem of an Italian suit. The one's made by C&M were a bit more pronounced.

C&M

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 136 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 254 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.8%