• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomson

Reaction score
Not sure if it is, but it looks a lot like Hardy Minnis Worsted Alsport II #520060

I'm wearing a suit right now and the pants have frogmouth pockets. I like them a lot.
I’m looking on my phone, so I can’t see in detail, but it looks like whipcord.

Thanks a lot for your kind help! These two options hadn’t occurred to me.

It does seem to have a bit of a herringbone pattern which would point to something like the Worsted Alsport but the colour might be more like an oatmeal whipcord. Difficult to see in the photo but I do like the idea of a countrified suit without going full-on proper tweed.

Again, many thanks.

supern0va

Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks more like covert to me. Cav twill is usually a twill within a twill.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

Let us see what the writer of the article states about the provenance of the cloth:

"Part of this is a result of the cloth, which is a cavalry twill from Vitale Barberis Canonico (584, 440g)."

Cheers,

Dimitris

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

Let us see what the writer of the article states about the provenance of the cloth:

"Part of this is a result of the cloth, which is a cavalry twill from Vitale Barberis Canonico (584, 440g)."

Cheers,

Dimitris

Every time you open with "Dear Gentlemen," I think of this Simpsons photo

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate those shoulder treatments. Terrible choice for that fabric IMO.

I think that may have been his first suit with that maker. My impression is that he doesn't specify much when commissioning given his review format. A lot of it is default.

In real life, I don't think many of these small details make that much of a difference. It just comes down to fit and silhouette. Few people, I think, are going to notice spalla camicia.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think that may have been his first suit with that maker. My impression is that he doesn't specify much when commissioning given his review format. A lot of it is default.

In real life, I don't think many of these small details make that much of a difference. It just comes down to fit and silhouette. Few people, I think, are going to notice spalla camicia.

To my eye the shoulders look lumpy and weird. I don't have to know that it's due to creating a spalla camicia with a stiff fabric, or not, to think it looks bad, and I doubt I'm alone in thinking that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To my eye the shoulders look lumpy and weird. I don't have to know that it's due to creating a spalla camicia with a stiff fabric, or not, to think it looks bad, and I doubt I'm alone in thinking that.

Do you mean the sleevehead?

Shoulder line looks straight

Same sleeve head viewed from the side. You'd have to be right on top of his shoulder to see the pleating

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's one of his better looking suits, but I agree that spalla camccia sleevehead was probably not the best choice for that cloth.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd think about getting something similar if I needed it. IMO, the Italians are a little more casual about names for twills. That, to me, looks like whipcord not cavalry twill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads