Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Get something from the Hardy Riviera bunch as quickly as you can. The book is being run down and a lot of the good designs have already gone. Otherwise, there are a number of solids and checks in the Dugdale New Fine Worsted bunch that would work very well as an odd coat. I have also heard good things about Harrison Sunbeam, but haven't seen it in close-up.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I've heard great things about W. Bill linens.

3. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

As regards linens, there are also great ones in Harrison's (I think) Firefly book.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I'm thinking Solaro again, albeit in the future: [​IMG]

5. scruff

scruff Senior member

Just took delivery of a new coat from Ercole's. Changed up the pattern and it's a beaut. Proper unfunded/funded photos to come soon enough.

[​IMG]

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Is that this tweed?

[​IMG]

7. scruff

scruff Senior member

Not entirely. I posted the fabric some time ago. Here's another, still not accurate shot. Fits like a charm, though. [​IMG]

8. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

Thanks guys. I was just in London, but W.Bill was shut down for the week and a half I was there :cloud:

I will check out the Harrison's Firefly. Haven't had a chance to look at that yet. The Hardy Riviera has one I'm now eyeing so thanks Roger!

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Hi Guys,

I've been conversing with J&J Minnis and they have agreed to do a run of custom fabric: a lovely, vibrant dark tobacco brown Fresco in 10/11oz weight. A photo is below held against the Minnis 0500 light gray 8/9oz fabric. I'm very pleased with the way the test came out especially the subtle mottling effect. The shade of brown is lighter when in direct sunlight. I reached out a few of you and it looks like we have 35 meters ready to go and we'll need 25 more to reach 60 meters to make it happen. The cost will be around 35 GBP per meter plus shipping, depending on the price of wool at the time. Not bad if you ask me.

[​IMG]

I can see this as something that can work well as an alternative to the traditional blue blazer in conservative settings, but be fun enough to wear for slightly more casual settings as well. It can of course also be made into a BlazerSuit which I will be doing.

If you are interested please send me a PM. Serious inquiries only are appreciated. Please also send along your email and address for my records for when it gets made up. I would love to close out the order by the end of the month and have it in people's hands this Spring so it can made up for Summer/Fall.

Thanks guys and let's get this made!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

10. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Hmmm...I have no experience with Minnis Fresco. Anyone can tell me if I can wear it in early summer (around 30 celcius degree)? What about the see-through effect?

11. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

- Yes
    - In my experience, the 'see-through' effect is exaggerated on this forum

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

30 degrees Celsius (mid-80's Fahrenheit) is tough for any wool fabric I find. If you get it with minimum lining and soft construction it can work better than most. Linen is most ideal at that temperature range. You can request a dark canvas from your tailor to minimize any potential see-through effect.

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

14. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

In 30 celsius, any jacket is going to be warm. Actually, as long as there's a little breeze, and you get the jacket unlined, I slightly prefer Fresco over linen at that temperature.

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

FWIW, I've also been able to wear fresco throughout this mild winter up here in Toronto.