• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Bromley

Reaction score
is there anywhere online to view the Bard book?
I don't think so. The Bard cloths have been around for awhile with loose swatches sent out upon request, but The Bard bunch is new as of a few weeks ago, I believe. It's very, very nice cloth. I haven't seen the full bunch yet.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. The Bard cloths have been around for awhile with loose swatches sent out upon request, but The Bard bunch is new as of a few weeks ago, I believe. It's very, very nice cloth. I haven't seen the full bunch yet.
Bard bunch has been around for a while but they’ve got an updated one now.

classicalthunde

Reaction score
Bard bunch has been around for a while but they’ve got an updated one now.
Interesting, I’m curious to hear people’s opinions on this versus Drapers Ascot, both seem to be the same weight and style of weave...

Trying to eye up a fabric for my next suit in mid grey...

reidd

Reaction score
Interesting, I’m curious to hear people’s opinions on this versus Drapers Ascot, both seem to be the same weight and style of weave...

Trying to eye up a fabric for my next suit in mid grey...
Haven't tried Drapers Ascot but I can strongly recommend H&S Crispaire. It's underrated around these parts but wears fantastic IMO.

S K M

Reaction score
Not compared LL linen with Ulster stuff but it would not surprise me that they are the same thing. LL Brisa is identical to Lovat Bard at 2x price.
To be fair I have shirts made from both the LL run from Ulster and from Ulster’s own range, and though the designs are the same the quality isn’t; the LL versions are heavier, wrinkle less and are more long-lasting. But interesting about the Bard from Lovat, I’ll try to enquire about that!

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do they come in heavier weights? online it looks like it is 310g vs. Ascot and Bard's 370/380g
From what I understand, H&S used to make it in 13/14oz but in recent books, 10oz (310 grams) only.

They drape exceptionally well (and very nice hand) but I find that in very humid weather (we have very humid summers as in over 100% humidity), they tend to lose the crease a bit towards the end of a long day.

Alan Bee

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've popped a bunch of stuff up over on the Buy / Sell / Trade thread, including Rangoon, Hunters of Brora, and Lumbs Golden Bale >>>

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Draper's ascot is excellent, I have nid grey in the lightest weight for summer. Cool as fresco, lot less scratchy, holds crease

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair I have shirts made from both the LL run from Ulster and from Ulster’s own range, and though the designs are the same the quality isn’t; the LL versions are heavier, wrinkle less and are more long-lasting. But interesting about the Bard from Lovat, I’ll try to enquire about that!
Have a look at Dugdale Lisburn. About 12oz Irish linen done in a chunky and more porous weave than typically tight Irish linen weaves.

supern0va

Reaction score
do they come in heavier weights? online it looks like it is 310g vs. Ascot and Bard's 370/380g
The Drapers Ascot 370g is the exact same fabric as the VBC 4ply @kolecho mentioned previously. I have that and H&S crispaire, and prefer the 4ply over crispaire for trousering. Former has better drape.

4ply
83BE5D4B-412B-4ADE-9A1B-87925EBD1171.jpeg

Crispaire
CE5A2C0B-A5F5-42AF-B3FA-2CC75ACAC80E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.