• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
90% wool and 10% cashmere
Not saying it should necessarily be at the top of your "to fund" pile, but going full suit is no brainer for me. Just from the screen grab, I actually think I'd enjoy that fabric (looks alone, not speaking to durability, etc.) more as trousers than a jacket, if I had to choose one.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @HuggyBear,

Since you requested our thoughts, you may have mine.

StyleForum is one of the few "places" that I have seen gentlemen contemplating the use of jacketing cloth as suit cloth by making trousers as well out of it. There is a difference in the weaving of the two fabrics, because, well, the purpose is a different one! It's not that I don't already know that the above-mentioned difference is neglected by merchants, tailors, and clients (everyone for a separate reason...), yet it still exists! More so, it will be there in the whole lifespan of the trousers! This is one of the reasons why certain fellow members here have encountered several problems with their trousers.

Of course, if you wish to proceed you may do so, but I urge you to reconsider; this very nice wool-cashmere cloth of 550grams (this is an overcoating cloth for my climate) was destined to become a formidable SC, not a suit!

At any rate, I am wishing you every success to this sartorial endeavor.

Best,

Dimitris

HuggyBear

Reaction score
Dear @HuggyBear,

Since you requested our thoughts, you may have mine.

StyleForum is one of the few "places" that I have seen gentlemen contemplating the use of jacketing cloth as suit cloth by making trousers as well out of it. There is a difference in the weaving of the two fabrics, because, well, the purpose is a different one! It's not that I don't already know that the above-mentioned difference is neglected by merchants, tailors, and clients (everyone for a separate reason...), yet it still exists! More so, it will be there in the whole lifespan of the trousers! This is one of the reasons why certain fellow members here have encountered several problems with their trousers.

Of course, if you wish to proceed you may do so, but I urge you to reconsider; this very nice wool-cashmere cloth of 550grams (this is an overcoating cloth for my climate) was destined to become a formidable SC, not a suit!

At any rate, I am wishing you every success to this sartorial endeavor.

Best,

Dimitris
Thanks for that Dimitris. Much appreciated

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to know too. Other than VBC 4 ply of course, which is the same thing :)
I’ve also heard Smith Finmeresco 4-ply is from VBC.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I've got a couples of suits in Drapers 4-ply. Like it a lot. Is there anything similar from other mills/merchants?
Any chance you've done a write up/review of this somewhere? I'm looking at the VBC versions (which I understand to be basically the same). Thanks!

aristoi bcn

Reaction score
@kolecho, any plans of reweaving an old Minnis? The last batch of mid grey flannel is delicious and more versatile at 400g than their current mid grey at 475g.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a cotton/linen blend for an odd jacket? Preferably on the more linen side but I'd prioritize not having to get it pressed after each wearing over that

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tweed looks awesome.
Thank you. I am excited about this one. I have always wanted a Gun Club and as far as GC's go, this one is a pretty good one. The gray is a brighter and bluer gray than the standard Johnson's mix. Also went with a bit more length on the coat, as it will definitely be a late fall through winter coat. Hangs off the neck well.

DL-

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a length of that at Anderson & Sheppard-- and a cap made by Lock already in residence!

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.