• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

lngn2

Reaction score
Interesting! I’d think that a Bemberg-lined waistband would be too slick and the trousers would slide down. But I guess that’s what braces are for! :)
Not an issue I've had! Trouser p0rn of a pair I've recently made in 9oz white linen w. bemberg lining & waistband. Biggest thing that makes a difference to whether trousers slide down or not is getting enough shape in the waistband. Following on from some help from a friend on the Row I've started making them with split waistband reinforcement and collar canvas - the resulting waistband is therefore slightly smaller at the top than the bottom and really hugs the body.

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/p/B0vVJjJptDX/" data-instgrm-version="12" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">

View this post on Instagram

Sunday sewing - lots of hand sewing on the curtain and lining of these white linen trousers I&#39;ve made myself from @dugdalebrosandco 9oz linen. #menswear #whitetrousers #style #fashion #sewing #tailoring #linen

A post shared by Lionel Nierop (@lionelnierop) on Aug 4, 2019 at 3:57am PDT

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ that is readymade waistband curtain. Buy it in rolls and sewn in by machine.
Silesia is lighter weight cotton used in jackets for pocketing. Not appropriate for trousers. Cotton pocketing for trousers is closer to cotton drill. More dense and stronger fabric as trouser pockets take more wear and tear than pockets in jackets. Getting harder to find 100% cotton pocketing for trousers. That's the good stuff. Poly cotton blends are more common but not as good IMO. You can use almost anything for trouser curtain as long as it doesn't shrink, bleed color and lasts as long as the trouser cloth does. Have seen lining used and shirting fabrics too. Usually it's sleeve lining not lining used to line the body of a jacket

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sleeve lining is softer and lighter than most jacket linings. I use Bemberg Asahi for sleeves and use the same to line trousers. It doesn't shrink at all and is durable. Think I read that it's made from wood pulp.
Looked it up, found this. "Bemberg is a regenerated fiber made from cotton linter"

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting morning. So far I've had to Google silesia and ermazine.
Same here. Now I know Silesia is a region in Poland bordering the Czech Republic.
Smitty, Google Bemberg Asahi for product info

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Yeah, us History majors could find Silesia on a map but never knew it was a fabric as well!
All 4 of us lol.

Indeed Silesia is one of the more famous provinces that even HS students learn about in AP Euro, but I had no idea it was a fabric!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this tweed? On a bespoke sportcoat from about a decade ago - thick, soft hand; if it's still available I'd like to buy some:

Well it took me five years, but I finally have my hand on a jacket length of this tweed from Hunters of Brora. It’s gonna be a horseblanket winter!

00772985-8B7E-4AEB-B907-17EFD11FD876.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.