• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Bromley

Reaction score
Who's that cutting on a glass table?

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Lorenzodm, post:
[/QUOTE]
Well, that was encyclopedic!

Possibly a bit too casual for me actually. Really like it but leaning more overcoat than pea coat. Already have Billy Reid's Bond Pea Coat and wear the crap out of it.. Anyway, will check out the offering when it hits the website!

Last edited:

paborden

Reaction score
@paborden did you ever find anything that came close to this large scale herringbone? I've been on the look out myself after you posted it a while ago and am curious to see what you've come up with...the only thing that I've come a cross is sort of similar (but it looks like its a touch darker) the W Bill WB21703 in their classic coating bunch

@Despos or @dieworkwear any idea where to find a large scale herringbone overcoat fabric like this?
Closest I've found is this - https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collections/coating/products/fox-tonedale-herringbone. Not quite the same but am thinking of getting something in this made up. I've scoured all mills, been on a trip to Scotland in the last year even, and no luck any more than this.

The W Bill options are nice but they are even more different than the Fox version, IMO.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was actually thinking of something closer to this. Hickey Freeman had a cashmere DB coat a few seasons ago. Kicked myself for letting it get past me. Clean lines but I’d like bolder lapels. Nice top coat length. Full length coats just bounce off my shins and get wet with slush and rock salt. Annoying in cars too.
C9BDCF14-C091-4FD2-8528-3E7C44B27F5B.png

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was actually thinking of something closer to this. Hickey Freeman had a cashmere DB coat a few seasons ago. Kicked myself for letting it get past me. Clean lines but I’d like bolder lapels. Nice top coat length. Full length coats just bounce off my shins and get wet with slush and rock salt. Annoying in cars too.
View attachment 1223888
Why not go to Nordstrom’s and get it MTO?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You, sir, are correct. This is a good chance to pick your brain:

- looking for a double-breasted coat cut to fit over a suit
- Navy wool/cashmere blend would be nice, can be a shade or two lighter than standard Navy blue
- hate full length coats, prefer at or maybe just below knee, close to car coat length
- love bold (almost Gestapo-bold) peak lapels, hate the small ones with horizontal top edges
- slanted hand warmer pockets, hate patch pockets, besom pockets below hand warmer pockets okay

I realize I’m describing a long Pea Coat of sorts. What do you think?
I did an double breasted overcoat in Loro Piana Baby Camelhair last year and it si a gorgeous off-navy kind of color. I'll try to take a picture for you in the morning if I remember.

emptym

Reaction score
Cavalry twill trousers in gray, is that a thing? I have them in olive green and have seen them mostly in tans and taupes. I want to branch out from gray flannel but pairing a navy sport coat with gray trousers is my go to. I was looking at Huddersfield, any other rec’s?
I have some in gray that I like a lot, a custom pair from Drapers fabric and a rtw one from Gurteen of unknown fabric. They go well with a navy flannel blazer imo. The Gurteen pair may be my most-worn pants in winter.

Fonz4

Reaction score
@paborden did you ever find anything that came close to this large scale herringbone? I've been on the look out myself after you posted it a while ago and am curious to see what you've come up with...the only thing that I've come a cross is sort of similar (but it looks like its a touch darker) the W Bill WB21703 in their classic coating bunch

@Despos or @dieworkwear any idea where to find a large scale herringbone overcoat fabric like this?
You can check W Bill Coating (probably the most comprehensive bunch), Dugdale Bros coating, Fox Bros, and Caccioppoli coating. You will find some, for sure.
I fell in love with W Bill from The Phantom Thread so I'm now waiting for a raglan coat in that fabric. Really fabulous.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not go to Nordstrom’s and get it MTO?
Not a bad idea. I didn't know Hickey did MTO overcoats. I keep hoping I'll stumble on a good RTW coat but no luck so far. I ordered a B Corner from the Rake but it was awful and I sent it back.

Does Nordstrom do MTM Hickey Freeman all the time or just at special events?

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty cool. Thinking of having a sport coat made.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I didn't know Hickey did MTO overcoats. I keep hoping I'll stumble on a good RTW coat but no luck so far. I ordered a B Corner from the Rake but it was awful and I sent it back.

Does Nordstrom do MTM Hickey Freeman all the time or just at special events?
All the time but you won't get the discount if you don't go during the mtm event.

Pretty cool. Thinking of having a sport coat made.
That silk linen wears hot in the DC summers.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the time but you won't get the discount if you don't go during the mtm event.

That silk linen wears hot in the DC summers.
Will query Nordstrom on the next HF event. Thanks!

I had a Zegna silk-wool blend S/C a while back but I passed it on. Didn't wear hot so much as not keep its shape and was too shiny.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DWW, did you ever post about the oxford cloth order in this thread?

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.