1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

I acutally mention it because cotton can be problematic to tailor because it can sometimes shoe the stitch marks if you need to change anything. I'm not saying dont do it, just wanted to give you a heads up.

2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Go wool. Much more versatile, and just a better looking garment when made up overall.

3. macjedi

macjedi Senior Member

Thanks Gents! Very compelling arguments. I will hold on the cotton.

4. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The set of buttons from the lining company are very bold/bright, almost neon. I have them and rarely find an opportunity to use them. Would be as loud as the white buttons you have now, in a different way

5. macjedi

macjedi Senior Member

Yeah, I thought so too. I’ll probably go for these:
    ATTACH]1144400[/ATTACH]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Navy-...271559732642?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10[/QUOTE]

Probably better darker than too blue.

The lining company also has unpolished navy horn which I thought about.

6. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Horn, not MOP. Why screw around, unless you're looking for a beachwear BlazerSuit?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for the business! Hope everything fits :)

I'd go with the darkest ones (last set)

8. macjedi

macjedi Senior Member

Yeah, I've never tried the G.Inglese shirts for fear that they would be too big. The new check fit feature was a big help. Finger's crossed.

Thanks again for chiming in on the buttons! New buttons inbound Wednesday!

9. mactire

mactire Senior Member

Sultans Fine Fabrics, North York, Toronto https://www.sultansfinefabrics.com

Hands down the equal of Caccioppolli or any other famous cloth merchant in Europe. Fantastic selection of cashmere coatings/jacketings, tweeds, linen, suitings, flannels, vintage tie-silks and shirtings.

Tons of stuff from Zegna, Loro Piano, Magee, Reid & Taylor etc.

Also tailoring canvasses, shoulder pads, horn buttons, interlinings and linings.

Prices in many cases are even better than buying from the mill direct.

IMG_20190314_154525.jpg

IMG_20190314_154113.jpg

IMG_20190314_154108.jpg

IMG_20190315_172148.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

10. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

I’ve been to Caccioppolli in Naples, so you have me intrigued. Time for a road trip to Toronto

11. BernieL

BernieL Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with Schofield and Smith Summer jacketings? @The Chai was kind enough to refer me to them and they seem to have a pretty compelling collection given my hesitation towards linen due to the wrinkling. I've been after a minimalistic summer glencheck without any blue or red borders and also found a moldy chocolate shade that gives off the muted Saman Amel vibe:

upload_2019-3-15_21-7-53.png

upload_2019-3-15_21-8-15.png

Please let me know what you all think - if someone has pictures of actual commissions or of the actual swatchbook itself, that would be very helpful as online pictures often don't give an accurate representation of the fabric in person.

12. circumspice

circumspice Senior Member

@BernieL - just order swatches from them. They ship them via UPS at what is probably a loss to them. They are very snappy in turning stuff around - in July of 2017 I ordered swatches, received them, ordered a sport coat length from their winter lambswool book, and got it all in a 3 week period

13. BernieL

@circumspice thanks- I emailed them. Any feedback on the quality of their stuff?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 8:15 AM

14. reidd

reidd Senior Member

I have received a couple swatches from them. One is the linen, silk, mohair blend and the other is the palm beach. The blend is very light and open, would wear really cool i'd imagine. That POW you've posted is obviously a different bunch but probably in the same vein and is in fact even lighter weight than the swatch I have. The palm beach feels really smooth but is still dry. Good body. Would make a nice tropical trouser.

15. BernieL

Thanks for your feedback. Do you think Palm Beach is more of a trouser fabric instead of jacketing?