1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. AWu

AWu Senior Member

Drapers got lighter weight options - approx 8 oz from the same book

For ultimate option, go see Zenga cool effect - real saver from summer heat in tropic summer time

2. thatitalian

thatitalian Senior Member

I’ve actually requested a commission from Sartoria Pasinato in the Drapers 4-ply and I can personally vouch for how amazing this fabric is, so much that I have requested a second commission in the same fabric (different colour).

5742ACAD-1563-4009-8F26-F7F16AC81441.jpeg CCBBEC56-C48C-4438-AF20-131EABD9CEFA.jpeg

It is weighty but feels cool and drapes phenomenally well - perfect three season fabric for London.

3. AWu

AWu Senior Member

How do you feel about it vs vbc 4 ply?

4. classicalthunde

classicalthunde Senior Member

Isn't Drapers Ascot/4-ply made by VBC? I took a look at the book on a recent visit to the Armoury and they had a VBC logo on the samples and I believe they said that it is essentially a high end line of VBC 4-ply in a heavier weight s (I think 12oz).

I could be wrong, but is "drapers" distinction just a branding thing, maybe to make it sound more British and distinguish it from the run of the mill VBC cloths?

5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

I am of the opinion that VBC makes great cloth. Quite how it became thought of as somehow entry level on StyleForum is confusing to me. Especially considering how often VBC ends up in the collections of better thought of lines. Scabal comes to mind as well as Drapers.

6. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

My understanding is the VBC mill is owned by two families. VBC and Drapers. They both operate the same mill but do their own lines of cloth.
    Think VBC reputation is mixed because they do a diffusion line to manufacturers. This is not the same cloth available to tailors. I have made up for myself a lot of VBC cloth and it tailors easily and wears well.

7. classicalthunde

classicalthunde Senior Member

ahh, thanks for the insight! this makes a lot more sense!

8. BernieL

BernieL Well-Known Member

Trying to find a pale sand/oatmeal S/S jacketing fabric like this one from Loro Piana made up by Saman Amel:
    upload_2019-3-14_0-7-30.png

I've looked at Caccioppoli, Ariston, Loro Piana (new S/S 2019 jacketings), and even English mills but wasn't able to find anything comparable.

The closest thing I could find was this fabric from the Loro Piana Mare collection:
    upload_2019-3-14_0-9-40.png

upload_2019-3-14_0-9-51.png

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

UPDATE: Just confirmed with Saman Amel that the SC is from the old LP Mare collection. The one I posted is the newer Mare, which is quite close. Case closed!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:54 AM

9. BernieL

BernieL Well-Known Member

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Unfortunately no, it was run on pre-order and sold out a long time ago.

11. norMD

norMD Member

I seem to remember that you mentioned the possibility of doing another production run and maybe a different color. Anything in the pipeline?

12. supern0va

supern0va Senior Member

Managed to get a length some time back. Worn it in Taipei recently!

F953D9F7-01F7-434C-88D4-DAFDCADC1392.jpeg

13. TOBestWR

TOBestWR Well-Known Member

@BernieL,

Take a look at Crystal Springs book by Holland and Sherry (code 478900 and 478901) might be interesting also.

Also, check the Lisburn Irish Linen book by Dugdale, alot of them are similar to what your are looking for.

14. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Distinguished Member

I also suspected that.