1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Or unless you started the morning with a white suit.

2. mactire

mactire Senior Member

Never a frown, with golden brown

3. Simon A

Simon A Active Member

The Kildary Skerray looks like it would make a great suit. Very subtle, terrific mixed herringbone/barleycorn weave. Go for it.

4. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior Member

New unfunded liability: Pink selvedge which reads Made in Scotland Expressly for Kiton. Around 325g. Olive green and brown serge. So beautiful.

DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG

5. paborden

paborden Well-Known Member

6. paborden

paborden Well-Known Member

Another question for the groups -

How does everyone like the Worsted Alsport book? Considering a suit in this.

7618.jpg

7. Concordia

Definitely won't look like real tweed, but it drapes pretty well and is a good three-season weight. Tasteful patterns in good colors.

8. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Looks like something Elmer Fudd would wear.

9. aristoi bcn

Harrison's Burley.

10. aristoi bcn

I don't like neither this book nor the Glenroyal. The look of the most soporific tweed and the hand of the worsted is the worst of each world in my opinion, but I know others think the other way around.

11. Concordia

Fair enough. I think the best patterns in the Worsted Alsport book are, paradoxically, the dullest. The discreet little gun clubs, for example. They keep the good taste angle and don't keep reminding you what you wimped out of wearing.

Glenroyal has a different problem. OK patterns, but more of a flannelly texture that seems really weak. Go to the Hartwist for the real thing.

12. aristoi bcn

Now I realize that I was not referring to the Glenroyal book but to the Glorious 12th , which is the equivalent of the worsted alsport of porter & harding, the glenroyal I like more, although it is not that I sigh for it.

13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

I'm wearing a Worsted Alsport II gun club jacket today. I like it. I have a jacket in a Glorious Twelfth fabric as well and like that too. I can understand the view that they're the worst of both worlds, but there are some nice patterns in both books, and if you live in a climate where colder months aren't always cold enough for tweed, they're good options in terms of comfort. They obviously don't have the texture of a tweed or flannel. They still have some texture and visual interest, though. Both drape well.

I also have a sport coat from a Glenroyal fabric. It is a spongier tweed. I like they way it feels. And I find it visually enjoyable, particularly the pattern that I chose.

14. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

Does anyone out there have a lot of experience with Scabal? I was thinking about adding them as an option, but I had a little bit of sticker shock. Is the price justified over say, Loro Piana, Gladson offerings or Dormeuil?

15. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Who is your supplier? I have someone in Europe who can get you a good price on scandal.