• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

aristoi bcn

Reaction score
Don’t you find the grey herringbone a little tough to wear dynamically?

Brown POW is great but brown herringbone is way more flexible than grey for me.
Not at all, honestly. If the herringbone has enough contrast (black and white yarns instead of grey) it can be paired with all shades of grey flannels. Ok, with medium grey you will need a strong coloured tie and/or cardigan to break the almost monochromatic ensemble but it works (at least to my eye).

Brown is easier to pair, yes (grey flannels, khaki cottons, fawn cavalry twills) but it may look too countrified in some situations. Same happens with green.

aristoi bcn

Reaction score
I've stumbled across some vintage tweeds and am contemplating having some suits / jackets made. That said, I'm trying not to do the thing I always seem to do when finding vintage fabric, i.e. buy everything in a fit of gluttony.

I've attached some of what I'm considering. Perhaps a suit in Kildary Skerray? Jacket in Carrol Altasbeag? Inchnadamph might be too green, I dunno and on the fence about the Blarmor.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Good finds. Soporific Estate Tweeds at their best.

First and second one the nicest. The first is almost identical to one of the designs of the late Minnis Lambswool book. Super easy to pair with cords and moleskins in any colour.

Where do you get those names from? Do you know the mill?

paborden

Reaction score
Good finds. Soporific Estate Tweeds at their best.

First and second one the nicest. The first is almost identical to one of the designs of the late Minnis Lambswool book. Super easy to pair with cords and moleskins in any colour.

Where do you get those names from? Do you know the mill?
This is old Hunter's of Brora stuff

paborden

Reaction score
I guess the question too is if a suit of Kildary Skerray would be too much

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did a jacket from the third one. Better than most from that book, with a real Cheviot look about it, but not a LL level if that is your benchmark. And yes— feels a tad better for cool spring days than autumn, not that it matters too much.

paborden

Reaction score
I did a jacket from the third one. Better than most from that book, with a real Cheviot look about it, but not a LL level if that is your benchmark. And yes— feels a tad better for cool spring days than autumn, not that it matters too much.
I mean my sense is that LL is just a custom Lovat tweed run, right? Not that I'm putting down LL. Lovat and Hunter's always seemed roughly equivalent in my mind in terms of make, just that there's extra thoughtfulness and skill put into the LL designs. But what do I know.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Construction is also first-class. Again, this one pattern felt different from the others in the Hunter’s book, but the rest were pretty undistinguished. Even this one may not be as good as LL in a few years. We shall see.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.