• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MenWithStyl3

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I think my real question is: Do you prefer a 65% Wool 35% Kidmohair or a 40% wool 60% Kidmohair blend? Cheers

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I have a Smith's 60% mohair and I like it a lot, wears very cool and stays looking crisp, but it also has a definite sheen to it. If you don't mind the sheen, I'd recommend it.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about estate tweeds/district checks I've come across this one, which according to the Johnston's book of scottish estate tweeds is called The Lochmore. It's a classic gunclub with what seems white, tan and olive checks. I couldn't find any source of it. Do you have any info about this particular check? Type of wool yarn? Mill that originally weaved it? All info much appreciated.

Screenshot_20181229-144644.png

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to how the heavier (12-13oz) 4-ply, high twist and/or mock leno cloths in the Smith Woollens Finmeresco book wear relative to season? Thanks!

cl0udy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a full selection of the colours Caccioppoli offers for their pique cotton (for polos)?

I note Caccioppoli lists all their suiting/jacketing and even shirting fabric on their website, but I can’t seem to find the pique cottons. Any help would be appreciated!

not on minero brothers website either, some colours that are available --> http://www.lucavitabile.it/shop-online/?category=Friday+Polo

just had a polo made, there were way more colours in the fabric swatch bunch that I looked at, even brighter ones like orange and a bright purple from memory, hope this was of help.

bsmw

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to how the heavier (12-13oz) 4-ply, high twist and/or mock leno cloths in the Smith Woollens Finmeresco book wear relative to season? Thanks!
I have a suit made of the 4-ply Finmeresco and I use it during autumn to spring in Hong Kong, wear it between low teen to low twenties degree Celsius.

I also have used it as travel suit to London and New York during cooler days. Below 10 degree Celsius, I would wear an overcoat and long underpants to keep my legs warm.

takashi78

Reaction score
IMG_2503.JPG
Hello guys,

Was sent this pic for a possible sports jacket option.
This is to wear casually and sometimes with jeans.
I love in a hot and humid climate.

1- Is this dark green easy to match?
2- Any idea which book this is from? So i can pop by a tailor shop to check it out personally.
3- Anyone has any experience with this cloth done up?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! Two questions:

1) I'd like to commission a hard-wearing, semi casual, winter-weight (12/13oz?) navy odd jacket for pairing with flannels, cords and jeans. This is currently where I have landed: https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collections/somerset-jacketing/products/navy-twill-jacketing

Any better recommendations? Is the twill too distinctive?

2) What are your top 3 recommendations for summer-weight navy hopsack (also for a sc)?

Thanks!
1) That twill looks nice. The visibility of the weave will be great up close, and likely unnoticeable from across a room. Fox's "Jacketing" bunch has a few other good navies that would meet your criteria, but I don't see them on Fox's website.

2) It's not a hopsack, but I think it effectively does the same thing, and it's one of my favorites: Smith's Mock Leno (from "Finmeresco"). And Caccioppoli always has some good hopsacks in their jacketing bunches.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1100563 Hello guys,

2- Any idea which book this is from? So i can pop by a tailor shop to check it out personally.

yes, easy to match. i have a dark green sport coat in a summer weight wool/linen/silk, i think from drapers, cacciopolli does a nice blend as well. i dont know what book that particular cloth is from, but there are others out there.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) That twill looks nice. The visibility of the weave will be great up close, and likely unnoticeable from across a room. Fox's "Jacketing" bunch has a few other good navies that would meet your criteria, but I don't see them on Fox's website.

2) It's not a hopsack, but I think it effectively does the same thing, and it's one of my favorites: Smith's Mock Leno (from "Finmeresco"). And Caccioppoli always has some good hopsacks in their jacketing bunches.

Thanks for the input! I've actually been considering the Smith's Finmeresco mock leno, but I worry it might be too meshy (transparent) and I already have a navy fresco...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! Two questions:

1) I'd like to commission a hard-wearing, semi casual, winter-weight (12/13oz?) navy odd jacket for pairing with flannels, cords and jeans. This is currently where I have landed: https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collections/somerset-jacketing/products/navy-twill-jacketing

Any better recommendations? Is the twill too distinctive?

2) What are your top 3 recommendations for summer-weight navy hopsack (also for a sc)?

Thanks!

Porter and Harding Glenroyal has navy herringbone that can take a beating. I would go with that over the somerset. Somerset was nice but felt too luxurious when I touched it.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I've actually been considering the Smith's Finmeresco mock leno, but I worry it might be too meshy (transparent) and I already have a navy fresco...
I've never found it to be transparent when worn, and it's very different from the Minnis Fresco. Have a look at some swatches in person if you can-- it's a cool cloth. Holland & Sherry has something similar now, too. "Mesh Jackets", maybe?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porter and Harding Glenroyal has navy herringbone that can take a beating. I would go with that over the somerset. Somerset was nice but felt too luxurious when I touched it.

Hmmm...I was also considering glenroyal, but want something other than a tweed this time around. Could still end up going in that direction, though...Thanks!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1100563 Hello guys,

I actually have this cloth in a full suit. I ordered it as a jacket, but they had enough cloth so they made the full suit! I think it is a very easy color to wear and pair, and there is a lot of visual interest in the fabric. Sort of mottled with lighter fibers throughout. As far as being appropriate for a hot and humid climate, that depends on you. I run hot, so it doesn't matter. I'm miserable if its sunny and 78...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads