1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 12 : Löf and Tung MTO shoes from Skoaktiebolaget

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 12th auction of the year is for a pair of Löf and Tung MTO (made-to-order) shoes from Skoaktiebolaget. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

How will you wear the gray and blue SC?

2. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior Member

Since it’s somewhat of a complex jacket, I think plain shirts and knitted ties are suitable. And for trousers, you can’t go wrong with beige, ecru, khaki green, and grey trousers. Lately, I am into cavalry twills, covert cloths, and moleskin...

3. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior Member

I like grey jackets with grey trousers. Not a praised combo among CM enthusiasts at all but an understated and more contemporary one than the ubiquitous navy blazer with grey trousers.

4. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior Member

They have H&S on hand as a stock fabric so I believe it's discounted over a fabric they have to order for a one-off garment.

5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

If you are in Palm Beach, Classic II is probably not the book for you. With that being said, I am a huge fan of that book for a number of reasons: great weight and body, beautiful drape, wears like iron and some really nice texture in a lot of the swatches. However, I started sweating thinking about wearing a suit from that book in anything over 75 degrees, though I run hot.

I am also a huge fan of Fresco, but these are very different cloths. Make sure you are able to touch them both in person as they are a world apart in feel. Good luck.

6. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior Member

Cashmere from W.Bill:

CASHMERE FRONT.jpg

CASHMERE BACK.jpg

Harris Tweed from Harris Tweed Hebrides:

HARRIS FRONT.jpg

HARRIS BACK.jpg

Now I need a green Tweed (maybe Shetland, maybe another Harris in Black Watch design) and a green Cashmere to have my weekend winter wardrobe completed. Three needlecords (dark brown, fawn and dark olive) coming soon to add some variety to my denims.

This is my first winter commission from this tailor but my 5th and 6th in total. Unsuspectedly this time the jacket is 2cm wider and lapels 2 cms narrower. It seems that widening the jacket has worked because they are intended to be worn mostly with knitwear (as seen in the picture) but wasn't expecting a narrower lapel (8 cm opposite to my previous jackets that were all 10 cm). Now I don't know what size I like most. :/ This lapels are maybe more according to a true three button jacket than to a three roll two.

7. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@aristoi bcn

Need to let out the sides (more like hips) man. Your vents are flying wide open.

Alan Bee

8. lordsuperb

Switch out the buttons and go for something darker on the cashmere. In regards to the lapels I feel like you can get away with a larger lapel when doing a 3r2.5 or higher.

Those italian tailors like things super fitted. I had similar issues with my linen jacket from formosa. He will have to let out the sides (hips and waiste) for it to hang cleanly.

9. Skanstull

Skanstull Senior Member

Which merchant/mill makes this Classic II book?

10. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Increase the length a bit and let out the sides a lot. Jackets appear to be hugging in not particularly flattering ways.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Jackets might fit better without knitwear underneath.

12. lordsuperb

This is a weird question but do you guys get your tweed jackets laundered or just brush and go?

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

I haven’t laundered any jacket in over a decade. :hide:

14. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Distinguished Member

With the money you are spending on jackets, don’t have them laundered. Something will get screwed up. Buy a hand held steamer at the closest Bed Bath. It’s all you need.
    Alex

15. Thomson

Thomson Active Member