Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

Nice!

Cordovan

These pictures look incredible. That stuff must be worth a fortune!!!

p.s. where did you buy it from???

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

And finally, 14-15oz brown "spot effect" flannel (0327). Easily my favourite of the bunch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a gorgeous pattern, but I worry about the weight.

A&S have a similar "special" that was inspired by (or left over from) a run for a London Lounge member. Fox Flannel, 12-13oz. I'm tempted by that, and trying to figure out if it would be better as a DB or 3-button SB.

3. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

A&S have a similar "special" that was inspired by (or left over from) a run for a London Lounge member. Fox Flannel, 12-13oz. I'm tempted by that, and trying to figure out if it would be better as a DB or 3-button SB.

When it comes to flannel, I think DB is always a good choice.

I really like the pattern on the flannel I posted. I was looking for something lighter than dark brown, and this was all they had. It just happened to be at the heavier end of the scale. I think it'll be perfect for cold days.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

That Minnis is probably my favorite cloth in the whole range.

5. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have that Minnis as an unlined shirt jacket and wear it comfortably when temps are in the 60s.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have that Minnis as an unlined shirt jacket and wear it comfortably when temps are in the 60s.
    A good datapoint, but I'm guessing that on those days you go with no tie, open collar, khakis (or cords)?

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

A good datapoint, but I'm guessing that on those days you go with no tie, open collar, khakis (or cords)?

Neckerchief, open collar and the suspected trousers.

It does have less of a soft hand than, say, Golden Bale, so to my mind it wears in between a worsted and a flannel. But I'd have to have it as a suit before I swore to that thought.

8. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Very happy with some recent stuff from Acorn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

What are the details on the check shirting?

[​IMG]

10. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's the Fife Sport Pink, 30's x 30's. These stuff are on discount here..not much left so send them an email if you want any.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It does have less of a soft hand than, say, Golden Bale, so to my mind it wears in between a worsted and a flannel. But I'd have to have it as a suit before I swore to that thought.
    Of the woolen flannels currently available that I know of, Minnis is by far the stiffest. Very hard wearing, and it holds a crease like champ. Virtually any of the others -- Smith, Lesser, H&S, Harrison, Drapers, Fox -- are going to be softer and have a finer finish. Minnis is more like old world West of England flannel.

12. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

That Minnis is probably my favorite cloth in the whole range.

Why don't you buy some [​IMG]

In other news, these arrived recently with the rest to come in about 3 or 4 weeks, including the linings bunch.

I am working on pictures of everything.

[​IMG]

13. milosh

milosh Senior member

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Why don't you buy some [​IMG] In other news, these arrived recently with the rest to come in about 3 or 4 weeks, including the linings bunch. I am working on pictures of everything. [​IMG]
    Hey, whatchya got there? My tailor is loving Harrisons new sunbeam cloth. There are a lot of new linings about to come out too. The mohair book was revamped and so was their Havana 8oz tropical worsted which is a beautiful well performing cloth. Incidentally, although a little early, Harrisons worsted flannel is one of the hardest wearing, shape retaining around.

15. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Hey, whatchya got there? My tailor is loving Harrisons new sunbeam cloth. There are a lot of new linings about to come out too. The mohair book was revamped and so was their Havana 8oz tropical worsted which is a beautiful well performing cloth. Incidentally, although a little early, Harrisons worsted flannel is one of the hardest wearing, shape retaining around.
    Quite a few bunches are in that pile, including Fine Classics Flannels (worsted and woolens in the one bunch) Cape Kid (but inside it is labelled as Summer Cape Kid) Mersolair Sunbeam Moonbeam P&H Glorious Twelfth P&H Hatwist P&H Harris Tweed P&B Universal (this one ought to keep the heavyweights happy) The others are yet to come as they were not ready just now. Here is what I mean WRT Cape Kid (somehow my camera managed to make this look like a photograph from the '70s) [​IMG] but I like the first cloth off the block in the Sunbeam bunch [​IMG]