• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xune

Reaction score
Hello!
I've tried searching few mills I could remember off the top of my head, but no luck. I'm trying to find solid burgundy/dark wine fabric (preferably twill), something like this (though that's flannel). Around 11-13 oz. Any ideas?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I've tried searching few mills I could remember off the top of my head, but no luck. I'm trying to find solid burgundy/dark wine fabric (preferably twill), something like this (though that's flannel). Around 11-13 oz. Any ideas?

I just saw this the other week at the tailor’s shop looking for gray flannels. I like the Minnis flannel book. Check that out or cacciapolli. I think Minnis might be heavier than 11-13 oz though.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually saw a really nice one in the Loro Piana books. @steveyoo1983 would you be willing to snap a pic for this gentleman please? I think it was one of the wool/cashmere solid twills (there may have been more than one wine fabric) in the jacket/trousers book

Xune

Reaction score
Both companies I totally forgot about :) Thanks for hints, I'll try digging myself!

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. @steveyoo1983 nevermind I found them online.

@Xune the first one (two pics of same fabric) is a bird eye wool/cashmere. I requested the grey and green from Steve/Orazio. It is wonderfully soft and have a lot of texture.

The second fabric is more of a twill (also wool/cashmere). Great texture from close up and loses that texture from a distance.

Last one is a bonus wine corduroy haha.

F24D2F95-B3E2-41D8-95BD-A7889E44CB6A.png

B383B7F1-C612-4C54-B802-4E266C6ECBCF.png
4B0E0897-9D11-4B06-B61E-134CF0CFB103.png

7855E8FC-B358-4B1A-97F0-5EEB4C60F477.png

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. @steveyoo1983 nevermind I found them online.

@Xune the first one (two pics of same fabric) is a bird eye wool/cashmere. I requested the grey and green from Steve/Orazio. It is wonderfully soft and have a lot of texture.

The second fabric is more of a twill (also wool/cashmere). Great texture from close up and loses that texture from a distance.

Last one is a bonus wine corduroy haha.

View attachment 1049004
View attachment 1049001 View attachment 1049002

View attachment 1049003
Those are nice. May have to commission one of those for next year haha.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Holland & Sherry also have some burgundy fabrics that you can search for by color on their site.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thatitalian

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the H&S City of London (HS1862) bunch?

I have seen a beautiful dark grey (6218046) and was thinking of having it made up for a business suit but wasn't sure on durability. At 13oz I expect it to be solid.

I also see that the S&W Botany is popular. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a dark grey fabric with a little bit of texture in the cloth, and perhaps a slightly dry handle so not sure what one to go for.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pronged fabric question
- what are some of the forum's go to hopsack choices? I've always had an illogical aversion to VBC's hopsack, but after adding a few of the Vanda ties to my collection, might need to change that belief.
- any preference among the "mock leno" offerings? I've only dealt with Minnis, though I know Smith's, Dugdale, and any others I may be missing have their versions as well.
- any experience with Fox's heavier hopsacks? Wondering if that might make a decent winter blazer.

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pronged fabric question
- what are some of the forum's go to hopsack choices? I've always had an illogical aversion to VBC's hopsack, but after adding a few of the Vanda ties to my collection, might need to change that belief.
- any preference among the "mock leno" offerings? I've only dealt with Minnis, though I know Smith's, Dugdale, and any others I may be missing have their versions as well.
- any experience with Fox's heavier hopsacks? Wondering if that might make a decent winter blazer.

Minnis's mock leno is excellent, drapes much better than VBC hopsack though it is a tad heavier than VBC's. Halstead makes a finer weave mock leno with kid mohair mix in it (also excellent and wear cooler than Minnis), Finmeresco has a 12 oz mock leno which is heavier than Minnis's version which looks promising. Not sure about Dugdale.

Never tried Fox's heavier worsted hopsack but for a winter blazer, why not consider a flannel? Woollen texture is a nice change for winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads