• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sammm

Reaction score
The navy is fine, but you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from a matte worsted from a distance. The char-navy is easily recognizable. Personally, I also like this colour more for a suit.

Thanks for your reply. I had already found your char-navy actually, snooping around. Looks good. I do wish the cloth was more blue/navy, more saturated. Do you find that the char-navy ever comes across as straight charcoal to people?

zr3rs

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I had already found your char-navy actually, snooping around. Looks good. I do wish the cloth was more blue/navy, more saturated. Do you find that the char-navy ever comes across as straight charcoal to people?
The char navy is more charcoal and does not look navy in low light...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m commissioning a suit and I find it hard to choose between Fox’s Classic Navy and their Char-Navy. A bit torn between the subtle softness of unheathered navy, and the immediate surface interest of the heathered char navy. I find it surprisingly difficult to find any photos of plain navy flannel suits online – plenty of pinstripe/gray/etc., but hardly any solid navy.

Does anyone have any photos and/or thoughts to share?

(I wish there were more heathered/mottled navy flannels, without turning to navy charcoal. http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/navy-blue-flannel-suit-11-oz-wool.html looks great but I don’t know if Drapers still carries that cloth, can’t find it...)

View attachment 1001936

Why not a dark blue flannel? If you’re not happy with navy but want something different try dark blue (lighter than navy). I had a gray / navy suit & was never happy with the color. It’s not useful to break down in a pinch. For example the jacket can’t be easily worn with gray trousers.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you use that for a suit or tuxedo? I have a hard time seeing that as a tuxedo but maybe it looks better in person.
I used it for a suit (sbpl so it does look like a tuxedo) but it’s more a really dark blue than navy. Like it looks distinguishable blue. I did get more extra cloth because I really liked how it was unique...herringbone and mohair....not a common design....so might get a dinner jacket made down the pipeline :)

Sammm

Reaction score
Why not a dark blue flannel? If you’re not happy with navy but want something different try dark blue (lighter than navy). I had a gray / navy suit & was never happy with the color. It’s not useful to break down in a pinch. For example the jacket can’t be easily worn with gray trousers.

Thanks for sharing your experience – I do worry a bit that the char navy might be a bit neither fish nor fowl. I do like Fox’s navy and the lighter French navy, I just wish they were mottled/heathered to really showcase flannel’s richness.

Well, all options have their pros and cons I suppose, and I’m sure it’ll turn out nice in the end.

hyho

Reaction score
Should the fox navy flannel be used for a SC or is it more suiting material?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is Fox char-navy

The navy is fine, but you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from a matte worsted from a distance. The char-navy is easily recognizable. Personally, I also like this colour more for a suit.

I have RTW trousers in a mottled blue from VBC, so this might be available via Drapers.

Almost an RAF blue. You could use the trousers separately under a tweed or blazer.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used it for a suit (sbpl so it does look like a tuxedo) but it’s more a really dark blue than navy. Like it looks distinguishable blue. I did get more extra cloth because I really liked how it was unique...herringbone and mohair....not a common design....so might get a dinner jacket made down the pipeline :)

My thing with bespoke is I’m not going to get anything I don’t really want. So that fabric isn’t for me.

Almost an RAF blue. You could use the trousers separately under a tweed or blazer.

I’d have to see it but I don’t think it looks good under a navy blazer. I have a navy donegal sports jacket that looks navy until you put on gray flannels & it looks too close. Unfortunate.

Should the fox navy flannel be used for a SC or is it more suiting material?

Both. If solid I’d go for a suit, maybe extra pair of trousers. Patterned is obviously a preference thing.

supern0va

Reaction score
Anyone knows where I can get something similar to this. It is a wool-silk-linen from caccioppoli’s SS2017 jacketing bunch. Unfortunately it’s sold out.

261C253F-4428-4CE5-A366-2EDBA672C395.jpeg

zr3rs

Reaction score
[QUOTE="jonathanS, post: 9393630, member: 202489"
I’d have to see it but I don’t think it looks good under a navy blazer. I have a navy donegal sports jacket that looks navy until you put on gray flannels & it looks too close. Unfortunate.
[/QUOTE]

Not with navy, but it works well with brown/gray tweeds.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes-- a cool tweed. E.g., tan with blue/grey checks or highlights would be good.

Or a real midnight blazer (not too much blue in it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads