1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Sammm

Sammm Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I had already found your char-navy actually, snooping around. Looks good. I do wish the cloth was more blue/navy, more saturated. Do you find that the char-navy ever comes across as straight charcoal to people?

2. zr3rs

zr3rs Senior Member

The char navy is more charcoal and does not look navy in low light...

3. hyho

hyho Member

What is the cloth number for that color. Looks like I should get that for my next winter suit

4. Sammm

Sammm Active Member

5. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

6. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Why not a dark blue flannel? If you’re not happy with navy but want something different try dark blue (lighter than navy). I had a gray / navy suit & was never happy with the color. It’s not useful to break down in a pinch. For example the jacket can’t be easily worn with gray trousers.

7. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Did you use that for a suit or tuxedo? I have a hard time seeing that as a tuxedo but maybe it looks better in person.

8. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

I used it for a suit (sbpl so it does look like a tuxedo) but it’s more a really dark blue than navy. Like it looks distinguishable blue. I did get more extra cloth because I really liked how it was unique...herringbone and mohair....not a common design....so might get a dinner jacket made down the pipeline :)

9. Sammm

Sammm Active Member

Thanks for sharing your experience – I do worry a bit that the char navy might be a bit neither fish nor fowl. I do like Fox’s navy and the lighter French navy, I just wish they were mottled/heathered to really showcase flannel’s richness.

Well, all options have their pros and cons I suppose, and I’m sure it’ll turn out nice in the end.

10. hyho

hyho Member

Should the fox navy flannel be used for a SC or is it more suiting material?

11. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Almost an RAF blue. You could use the trousers separately under a tweed or blazer.

12. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

My thing with bespoke is I’m not going to get anything I don’t really want. So that fabric isn’t for me.

I’d have to see it but I don’t think it looks good under a navy blazer. I have a navy donegal sports jacket that looks navy until you put on gray flannels & it looks too close. Unfortunate.

Both. If solid I’d go for a suit, maybe extra pair of trousers. Patterned is obviously a preference thing.

13. supern0va

supern0va Senior Member

Anyone knows where I can get something similar to this. It is a wool-silk-linen from caccioppoli’s SS2017 jacketing bunch. Unfortunately it’s sold out.

261C253F-4428-4CE5-A366-2EDBA672C395.jpeg

14. zr3rs

zr3rs Senior Member

[QUOTE="jonathanS, post: 9393630, member: 202489"
    I’d have to see it but I don’t think it looks good under a navy blazer. I have a navy donegal sports jacket that looks navy until you put on gray flannels & it looks too close. Unfortunate.
    [/QUOTE]

Not with navy, but it works well with brown/gray tweeds.

15. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Yes-- a cool tweed. E.g., tan with blue/grey checks or highlights would be good.

Or a real midnight blazer (not too much blue in it).