1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Probably ask on the No Man Walks Alone thread - they'll know. Also, a tailor might know as well, & can probably put it right next to the fabric swatch.

I have a Sports jacket made from Holland & Sherry 120s flannel - I was talking with one of my tailors (I just had the jacket on), & he mentioned he had that fabric, pulled out the H&S Flannel book, and showed me. I contemplated getting a pair of trousers made for it, but have yet to. Maybe I should, now that I think about it.

2. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Be careful. Different bolts can be different colors.

3. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Even the same fabric from the same book? I had never heard of that. Good thing I didn’t get a pair of trousers made then.

Well then to the other guy, just wear the sports jacket or try to find a tailor to let out the trousers.

4. Concordia

I just had this problem. An error on a sleeve couldn’t be corrected without new fabric from the mill. But no dice— they ran out of the previous bolt. Now I have to choose between a slightly flawed jacket at a discount, or a new one that will be late and perhaps not as good in some other way.

5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Or better?

6. birdlives80

birdlives80 Member

Still, worth seeking out. Any rec’s On nyc tailors who carry that line or similar?

7. Concordia

One hopes. But the last fitting was awfully good.

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

Definitely check with Greg at NMWA. They’ve used two different fabrics for that suit, if I remember correctly. That label looks like the older one, which might not be available anymore.

9. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

So weird. No one has any experience with dormeuil royal 11 krono?

I’m almost inclined to pull the trigger. Planning to start the commission early/mid August

10. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

I know someone on eBay selling a navy colored krono. Tempted to pull the trigger myself...

11. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Meh. Not doing eBay fabrics. If I’m paying for bespoke I want to get exactly what I want. Not something that is kind of what I want. It’s just too expensive to not get exactly what I want. Just my 2 cents.

12. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

True...I have only bought of eBay twice. First one was a miss...I wanted midnight blue and they gave me black...second one was a hit being one of my favourite fabrics in my wardrobe...a dormeuil midnight wool mohair herringbone 450g

13. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

I want the midnight blue wool mohair (70/30 or 95/5) for my tuxedo. Are fabrics legit on eBay? I have questions about whether I can trust them. Either way I’ve all but decided on my next fabric commission, so I’ll just purchase through my tailor (I don’t mind paying a few hundred more in the grand scheme of things bc I have assurance it’s authentic & I have options).

But I see what you’re saying, and with solids it’s not like you’re going to miss badly. Perhaps if you had a specific fabric you had your heart set on.

14. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/DORMEUIL-...790871?hash=item4b29db6357:g:3qIAAOSwVohZ4L5N This was the fabric I got. I had a specific one in mind so was willing to take the risk and it worked out really well but I wouldn’t necessarily do it twice unless it’s an unusual fabric...

15. Sammm

Sammm Member

I’m commissioning a suit and I find it hard to choose between Fox’s Classic Navy and their Char-Navy. A bit torn between the subtle softness of unheathered navy, and the immediate surface interest of the heathered char navy. I find it surprisingly difficult to find any photos of plain navy flannel suits online – plenty of pinstripe/gray/etc., but hardly any solid navy.

Does anyone have any photos and/or thoughts to share?

(I wish there were more heathered/mottled navy flannels, without turning to navy charcoal. http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/navy-blue-flannel-suit-11-oz-wool.html looks great but I don’t know if Drapers still carries that cloth, can’t find it...)

charnavy-classicnavy.jpg