Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I'd say it really depends on the design indeed. This PoW is one of a kind, but the value proposition for a plain navy or grey Brisa would be quite different for me, as Fresco comes at about half the price. For flannels, I'd be hesitant to pay that price knowing that Fox will do runs of 30m for quite a good price, which would only mean getting 8-10 people involved on the various fora. That said, if the Eden in Paris (also done by Fox if I remember correctly) comes back, or an RAF blue flannel (which is being discussed at the moment), at Fox prices, I'd jump immediately.

2. academe

academe Senior member

I ordered both those cloths, too!!! :slayer:

How are you having them made-up? I plan on having the Shetland made by Tom Mahon; probably a SB 3/2, notch lapels 3 patch pockets and possibly a collar tab.

Undecided on how to make-up the brisa and whom to use... I may try NSM next time she's in London or if I can make a trip over to Paris, Paul Grassart who posts over at C&T.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

3. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Heehee, perhaps these two cloths really are eminently suited to the requirements of academic life. :nodding:

For the Shetland, I'm thinking about 3r2 with hacking flap pockets or crescent pockets. The Brisa will be my go-to for travel, so I was thinking about a blazersuit configuration with patch pockets which will allow me to wear the jacket separately, although a DB with this fabric would also be amazing (I have a Lesser Tropical brown/caramel PoW on the list for a spring/early autumn DB). All handiwork to be done in Hong Kong.

4. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Fun stuff! I may suggest just go with standard hip flap pockets on the POW. It somehow seems a bit off to me to have patch pockets blue/gray POW suiting fabrics. Will Peter be making these for you?

Not sure how I'll make up my blue shetland windowpane. Either 3 patch pockets or standard hip flap pockets. Probably won't get it made up until next year, but we'll see. I'll try and post some photos of the corn shetland herringbone when it arrives this week. The fabric drapes amazingly well.

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

The jury is still out on the PoW pockets. I'm indeed thinking about Peter. We have my fit down pat by now, who's doing yours? Also, would love to see pics of the corn herringbone. Was eyeing that one as well, but there are budget constraints...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Damn those budget constraints! I must say that the last few items I've had made from Peter have been really great. Peter is doing the corn herringbone and will likely do this blue windowpane as well as he does CMT and Chan does not.

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The LL Agnelli flannel is difficult to photograph. It is less blue and more grey than I had expected. Originally I was on the fence about making it up but I have since started to like it more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. academe

academe Senior member

Very cool! I like the crescent pocket idea; very DoW.

For the brisa, I've been going back and forth between a SB 1-button peak lapel (pocket configuration TBD), or a SB 2-button notch lapel coat with a ticket pocket. Likely to get the coat with roped shoulders but with no/minimal padding... But the final details will probably depend on the maker's house style...

9. academe

academe Senior member

Very very nice cloth. Wish that I'd subscribed to that one, too! How's the hand?

10. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Same here, again: budget constraints... Nonetheless, I am quite convinced the LL will keep coming up with droolworthy flannels in the future.

How are you going to do this? DB? :slayer:

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The very "meaty" hand is one of the properties I like most about the cloth. It feels drier and meatier than Lesser 13 oz flannel. I don't have Minnis or Harrison's flannel for comparison.

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I am leaning towards making an SB suit with flap pockets so that I can also wear the jacket separately.

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

That is pretty amazing. The herringbone looks real "blocky", for lack of a more technical term. Is it that way IRL or just an extreme closeup?

15. forex

forex Senior member