1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

TLDR go whatever suits your fancy. Don't pick a lighter or a 'cooler' cloth just because you want to remain 'cool' because the difference is minute :)

2. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Its green, I’ll take a better picture when I get home.

3. lordsuperb

In-deed.

4. S K M

S K M Senior Member

Does anyone here have experience with the Bank quality of the LL linens? I am contemplating placing an order from my first linen suit during my next trip to Naples.

Thanks in advance!

5. brax

brax Senior Member

The LL Linen suiting that existed before the new book came out was Bank quality. I have two suits made from it and it is excellent. When ordering, remember that some (or all) of the Bank is produced on a half with.

6. S K M

S K M Senior Member

Very helpful, thanks! I actually already have a jacket from the old bunch, but didn’t know anything about the new qualities. A bit of a bummer that there’s no online version of the new book, but I think I’m after the Tobacco shade which I reckon is simular to the old book.

7. lordsuperb

IMG_3704.jpg

8. mactire

mactire Senior Member

Now that you mention it there is a tend towards a 'papery' hand from the King range, its mainly oxfords and dobbies I've gotten from them which haven't been an issue.

It got me thinking though, I've noticed a really noticeable 'papery/dry' feel from easycare shirtings in the past and from certain other S100s+ shirtings I've gotten, is there something about these that causes it? I've seen it in some books from Soktas and Albini/Thomas Mason so perhaps they're getting some kind of odd finish?

Bank quality?

9. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

Yeah that papery feel. I do appreciate a dry hand especially in suitings but the king range fabrics for e.g. is not only papery but because of that dry feel which causes the shirt to sort of stiff out, you get micro wrinkles which look really bad. Acorn stuff can be abit hit or miss. The linen I feel is too expensive to justify a purchase and ironically it’s their cheaper stuff that I find best. Nowadays I just use luxire as I cbf to source shirtings and m2m shirts in Perth cost a bomb. My two favourite shirts are from luxire. One is a 6 oz off-white linen herringbone and the other is a white fresco chambray shirting. If you like oxfords I recommend their Brembana mill Oxford. Stuff is lower priced compared to the other oxfords they have but imo one of the best offerings they have :)
    ah

10. brax

brax Senior Member

If you are referring to Tobac, I have that one in a suit. I love it and recommend it highly.

11. brax

brax Senior Member

If this helps you, here is a shot of my Tobac and Mocha in the wilid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. S K M

S K M Senior Member

Brilliant, thanks! I'm pending a bit between the Tobac and Brule, but the Tobac definitely looks nice!

13. brax

brax Senior Member

I can get you a shot of the Tobac and Brule side by side but not until tomorrow.

14. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

@brax loving that whole getup. LOVE those shoes.

15. brax

brax Senior Member

Thanks. That was my rehearsal dinner get-up last summer. The shoes were a special order through Skoak for Bonafe.