• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

takashi78

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your opinion on cloth guys.....

Lets not look at cost for now, only considering the below:
1- Wrinkle resistance
2- Cloth hand feel
3- Durability

I live in Asia with weather averaging 30c everyday.
So need something that breathes well and around 9/10z

Comparing between Staneven Explorer and Escoril......now cost aside....what would you choose for a 2pc suit?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Explorer is good stuff. Very similar to Minnis Fresco 9/10oz but lighter in weight.

1- Wrinkle resistance
2- Cloth hand feel
3- Durability

Comparing between Staneven Explorer and Escoril......now cost aside....what would you choose for a 2pc suit?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NewC,

Spring Ram is expensive but an excellent choice. Almost twice the price of comparable Fresco Smiths Finmeresco.

Just for comparison, I had Spring Ram (tailored) alongside Smiths Finmeresco 13oz (both two piece, unlined summer suits in similar weight) and I have to say I like the Spring Ram better. It just has more body and structure and the mottling and visual depth of the cloth is amazing. The Finmerecso by comparison seems very nice with a very nice smooth hand but rather utilitarian.

For the Spring Ram, I went for a medium gray which turned out simple stunning. For the Finmeresco, I went with a Steel-Blue which comes across as a Blue-Gray in natural light, a very nice color.

Alan Bee

Alan,

Thank you very much for your input - you are likely one of very few who are able to opine on the differences between Finmeresco and Spring Ram.

I am not usually interested by "fresco"-like fabrics, however, the mottling on the Spring Ram is gorgeous. It has a lot more character than Fresco and Finmeresco.

NewC.

dhkt

Reaction score

1- Wrinkle resistance
2- Cloth hand feel
3- Durability

I personally prefer the Escorial Primavera Bunch. But I have to say, Explorer would be a more practical choice, especially if you have to wear the suit frequently.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan,

Thank you very much for your input - you are likely one of very few who are able to opine on the differences between Finmeresco and Spring Ram.

I am not usually interested by "fresco"-like fabrics, however, the mottling on the Spring Ram is gorgeous. It has a lot more character than Fresco and Finmeresco.

NewC.

I won't try to sell you on fresco as it is an either you like it or you don't type of fabric. But knowing where you live, I would absolutely take a look at the AFBlue 9/10 JJ Minnis fresco. It is the best shade of blue for a summer suit that I have ever seen.

takashi78

Reaction score
I won't try to sell you on fresco as it is an either you like it or you don't type of fabric. But knowing where you live, I would absolutely take a look at the AFBlue 9/10 JJ Minnis fresco. It is the best shade of blue for a summer suit that I have ever seen.

Appreciate your replies guys, already have Fresco and a navy suit.
Hence a mid grey and a different cloth.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Sale

https://www.styleforum.net/buyandse...-silver-herringbone-w-bill-cashmere-etc.7042/
img_3687-jpg.905042

28618766984_32b2575890_o-jpg.884329

img_3691-jpg.905047

img_3698-jpg.905078

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Explorer is good stuff. Very similar to Minnis Fresco 9/10oz but lighter in weight.
OOC which cloth would you go for if you had to choose between explorer and minnis fresco? Also I thought they were the same weight? Slightly cheaper than Minnis I think?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1- Wrinkle resistance
2- Cloth hand feel
3- Durability

Depends on where you are. If you're in Malaysia for e.g. (when I go back once a year) it's way too hot and humid to make a difference. Most of the time (at least for me) I feel there's no difference in wearing my fresco suit and my 480 gram woolen barathea jacket. Wearing the barathea is slightly more uncomfortable than wearing a fresco suit...heck wearing a long sleeved linen shirt is hot as is...

takashi78

Reaction score
Depends on where you are. If you're in Malaysia for e.g. (when I go back once a year) it's way too hot and humid to make a difference. Most of the time (at least for me) I feel there's no difference in wearing my fresco suit and my 480 gram woolen barathea jacket. Wearing the barathea is slightly more uncomfortable than wearing a fresco suit...heck wearing a long sleeved linen shirt is hot as is...

Coincidentally i am from and living in Malaysia haha
But whenever i wear suits it will mostly be 80-90% in doors with A/C......
I think i am looking at a cloth no more than 9/10oz i suppose.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally i am from and living in Malaysia haha
But whenever i wear suits it will mostly be 80-90% in doors with A/C......
I think i am looking at a cloth no more than 9/10oz i suppose.
I guess my point is due to the climate and also taking into consideration indoors, whether its 9/10 oz or 16 oz imo doesn't matter. Like obviously heavyweight tweeds will be more uncomfortable but the degree of comfort between that and a 9/10 oz is so minuscule in this context it doesn't matter. Unless you will be doing a physical activity like dancing I suppose go for the 9/10 oz but with the crazy degree of humidity it doesn't matter. 9/10 oz for e.g. Fresco only keeps you 'cool' if there's wind blowing. If the air is static it just feels like normal suiting/jacketing fabrics...and the same goes for linen. The moment you wear something long sleeve you are just trapping air space of humid air that makes you sweat like crazy...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads