• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In London today and finally managed to drop by W. Bill for a look, and it was well worth it. The place is a treasure trove, and I saw a number of donegals and linens that I've added to my mental "to do" list. Ended up leaving with a suitlength of Irish linen in a lovely color of medium taupe with olive undertones. This should make up nicely. :nodding:

5226c97d.jpg

What weight were they M-E? 10 0oz or more?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like that linen a lot, very nice.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr. Pink, did you see the Smith's "luxury flannel" book? It has some nice 11oz. Not sure what the experts think of this stuff. It felt really nice to me. And the shades of gray were nice.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Mr. Pink, did you see the Smith's "luxury flannel" book? It has some nice 11oz. Not sure what the experts think of this stuff. It felt really nice to me. And the shades of gray were nice.

I have a pair of trousers from the book. I think they may be this same fabric. I like them quite a bit, but I'm not really looking for a flannel suit. It's hard to justify for San Diego. Our "cold" winter days are in the low 60s.

I'm crossing my fingers on the Lesser's 10oz, but I have my doubts. It's not even listed on the Harrison's website.

Incidentally, does anyone have an opinion of the Minnis Savile Row, Classic, or Crown Classic books?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whoops. Sorry, missed the "worsted" part of your post. I love the feel of Harrisons Frontier. That seems like a good choice for SD.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOVE the lightweight woolen flannels from Smith.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fox worsted flannels from Fox are also lovely..

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fox worsted flannels from Fox are also lovely..

For sure. They almost feel like woolen which I love about them. Have yet to make up my POW 3-piece. Who knows when that will happen considering how infrequently I wear suits these days.

hst

Reaction score

Thanks - is it just their generic linen book?

Yes, I think W Bill has just 1 linen book. I have a small length of the tobacco linen. Let me try to dig it out, and take a photo in the next day or two.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I think W Bill has just 1 linen book. I have a small length of the tobacco linen. Let me try to dig it out, and take a photo in the next day or two.

Thanks hst - appreciate the help.

emptym

Reaction score

... Ended up leaving with a suitlength of Irish linen in a lovely color of medium taupe with olive undertones. This should make up nicely. :nodding:
That is very nice. I was thinking of getting a sport coat made of this. But I would really like one with a nice pattern. Does W Bill make patterned linen? Scabal has some really nice patters, but it's very light in weight. If anyone has any recs for a patterned, heavy-ish linen, I'd appreciate it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good basic 10 oz worsted? I had wanted another suit from the Lessers book, only to find out it's unavailable. So I'm looking for the second best choice. Order will be from Chan, so choices are Minnis, Harrison's, Smith. I could go wiith Lesser's 13 oz, but I'm afraid it will be too heavy.

Have you looked at the Finmeresco book? I love, love, love the suit I have in it and plan to get another. Patrick said they will have an updated book in the fall that will have grays in it. Wish I'd known the last time they came. I'd have waited for that instead of getting the Crispaire. Oh well.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porter and Harding blue herringbone

hst

Reaction score

Thanks hst - appreciate the help.

This is the most representative of the colour I could get with my camera. The actual colour is a richer reddish brown.

DSC08588.jpg

A close-up of the texture. The reference number is 60154.

DSC08589.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads