Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Bespoke DJP

Bespoke DJP Senior member

Dear @tim_horton

Since open weave is excluded, and you wish a lighter weight, why don't you take a look at Zegna Trofeo (wool 100%) offerings?

You may even look at Zegna Trofeo 600, a finer, more luxurious example of the above (wool 85% - silk 15%) with 190gr weight; IMHO a far superior proposition than a lot of popular ones in this Thread!

Best,

Dimitris

2. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

H&S: Crispair, Lessor: 8-9 oz, VBC: Revenge
    Fresco Lite by Minnis is much smoother and different from normal Fresco so I may be worth checking.

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

In addition to Crispaire and the light Fresco, the lightest Finmerescos have a more tropical appearance than normal Fresco. The finer weave also makes it less scratchy, which avoids a prominent source of discomfort in 100-degree heat.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think something that often gets missed in the discussions of fabrics is what you mention here, when its really hot, it doesn't matter what your suit fabric is, you are going to be hot. If the weather is such that you are hot wearing a tank top and jorts, it doesn't matter if you are wearing a 2oz sweat wicking fresco, you are going to be hot. The jacket will have innards/lining, you'll have a shirt and probably a tie on so if its 85-90 degrees in NYC, your suit fabric is pretty much irrelevant. Obviously a 17oz flannel will wear warmer then a 9oz worsted but for summer I would get whatever fabric I like and realize that if I am walking in the city in August with the jacket on, I will be sweating. Easier/better to try and avoid the heat.

5. ATWright

ATWright Well-Known Member

6. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Take a look at some of the lighter suitings form Caccioppoli and Drapers. I have suits from each and they do fine in warm weather. Although what edmorel says is also true.

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I had a drapers navy wool/mohair blend made up recently that came out great...i think it was 10 oz

8. etostano

etostano Senior member

H&S Cool Breeze is the only suit I have that isn't completely miserable in NYC summer ... though ultimately I agree with edmorel

9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

10. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I'd just add to ed's points that half or quarter lining makes a big difference for me in summer.

11. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

Do you find a difference between half lined / quarter lined or are you saying the lining vs some sort of unlined?

12. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

The latter