• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mactire

Reaction score
I have a sample of their mohair barathea if you like a scan

I would indeed please.

I might just chicken out and get another fresco mohair. Saves me money from buying another bolt. I would really like to get the herringbone mohair that bower Roebuck makes but that don’t sell to public :/

Whats this herringbone mohair they have?

palodelincak

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend some good trousering book for fall/winter casual trousers?

Fabric should have some visual interest and also it should hold the shape really good (I do not mind wrinkles, but the shape should stay perfect during the day).

Basically it should hold the shape like Fresco and look casual like flannel :). Am I looking for a holy grail?

The colors I'm looking for are navy, cream, chocolate brown and dark green.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend some good trousering book for fall/winter casual trousers?

Fabric should have some visual interest and also it should hold the shape really good (I do not mind wrinkles, but the shape should stay perfect during the day).

Basically it should hold the shape like Fresco and look casual like flannel :). Am I looking for a holy grail?

Try the Holland and Sherry Dakota book.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@mactire this suit is from Bateman Ogden mohair. It's a good cloth and I'd recommend it Greg_Brittany_DB_suit_shoot (2).jpg
Greg_Brittany_DB_suit_shoot (10).jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Bateman & Ogden is a cloth merchant, aren't they sourcing from weavers? Or are they creating the cloths?

palodelincak

Reaction score
Try the Holland and Sherry Dakota book.

Thanks for advice - I'm currently waiting for a delivery of trousers in cavalry twill from Dakota book. However there are very little choices regarding my desired colors... So that's why I am asking.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bedford cord?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice - I'm currently waiting for a delivery of trousers in cavalry twill from Dakota book. However there are very little choices regarding my desired colors... So that's why I am asking.
Last year's Dakota book is still available and would give you more options. The cover is a reddish color, this year they are blue. You could also look at the Eksdale book from Gladson (distributor for Huddersfield Fine Wools, hfwltd.com )

mactire

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have lost the sample :(

Correction, it's from Arthur Harrison. I saw it on one of the jackets sold by the Armoury... https://thearmoury.com/products/rin...ringbone-amj03-sport-coat?variant=49445377359 ...would love to get a cut length of this for a suit but I doubt they sell to the public :/

If its Arthur Harrison then you're in luck, that is Harrison's of Burley https://www.harrisonsburley.net and they definitely sell cut lengths to the public. That pattern isn't on their site at the moment so ring them up and ask if there's any left.

@mactire this suit is from Bateman Ogden mohair. It's a good cloth and I'd recommend it

Many thanks gdl203 I'll look into it. Is it a 2-ply mohair?

If Bateman & Ogden is a cloth merchant, aren't they sourcing from weavers? Or are they creating the cloths?

Bateman & Ogden are merchants, so they get stuff woven for them by mills in Huddersfield, I imagine William Halstead for the mohair.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mactire I don't mean to sound like a douche, but why not go through the actual weaver? Is there a benefit to going via Bateman & Ogden? And thanks for the website link!

mactire

Reaction score
@ericgereghty not at all, I don't mind explaining my reasoning. Although you can save quite a bit going through a mill for commission weaving a pattern etc., in my experience not all mills are the best for maintaining their own stock supported books in the same state as the merchants.

So shades, finishes, designs differ enormously. I'm contemplating a steel grey two tone mohair for a mod-style suit and there aren't that many options out there. Sure on the Harrisons of Burley site they've got wine/aqua, ink/gold, ginger and bottle green, but not the other shades I'd be interested in.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its Arthur Harrison then you're in luck, that is Harrison's of Burley https://www.harrisonsburley.net and they definitely sell cut lengths to the public. That pattern isn't on their site at the moment so ring them up and ask if there's any left.

Many thanks gdl203 I'll look into it. Is it a 2-ply mohair?

Bateman & Ogden are merchants, so they get stuff woven for them by mills in Huddersfield, I imagine William Halstead for the mohair.
Not Harrison’s burley. Arthur Harrison’s...they are owned by Taylor and lodge. If you want a modish steel grey suit i recommend looking into the halstead kid mohairs. I have one suit in navy and the stuff is beautiful. Their two and three ply stuff I have but I prefer mohair fresco partly because minnis have some colors in the mohair fresco that I like over the other. Though I can’t help noticing that some of the colors are similar. Just a different weave. Like both their midnights are the exact same color. Halsteads sell their cloth through pepper lee. You can order samples from there but you gotta pay for them...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience on how long fresco pants will last before they start to wear out (say with twice a week on rotation wear). I'm having this paranoia that my mohair fresco trousers will wear out so I'm debating on whether to purchase extra fabric before the Minnis discontinues the run.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wool fresco can hang around for a while-- I've had some trousers from the light 8/9oz stuff that is well over 10 years old, although, in fairness I do wear it for jacket & tie evenings and not for daily use.

Mohair may well be a different kettle of fish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads