Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ATWright

ATWright Well-Known Member

Following on from my introduction to the Harrison's cloth vault a few months ago, I am posting a few of the pieces that I have extra length for. For those who didn't see the original post, the vault has the leftovers of the old WBill basement, it is at the same site, as well as all the remaining pre-acquisition Lesser cloth left. As some of you commented, this is the good stuff. If anyone is interested, PM me. All prices are below trade by some way, which is one of the benefits of buying from here.

Firstly, some real gold. Some vintage H.Lesser & Sons Lumbs Golden Bale. You can see the London Shrunk marking in the first photo. Unfortunately, the photos don't do it justice. Image-2.jpg
    Image-3.jpg

The lengths below are both heavyweight vintage Lesser, the good stuff. Feel free to PM with any questions.
    Image-1.jpg Image-4 (1).jpg

2. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

So, I seem to have the urge to pick up various lengths of unfunded liabilities, partly to have made next year and partly just for fun. This talk of the Lamlana collection being discontinued sort of spurred me on, I guess.

Anyways, do you guys ever buy cloth without having a plan to have it made up, within say 2-3 years? So far I've had my cloth made up within that time frame or even sooner. Now when you buy cloth that is beyond the indicated time frame (i.e. a "future"), are you ordering a different length, in order to protect the possibility of selling it? In my case, I only need 2m of cloth for a SC or 3m for suit, due to 1) my measurements and 2) my tailors' cutting ability. I'm wondering if I should be ordering 2.5m lengths when I hoard up on the Lamlana.

3. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

I'd order 2.5m for a SC and 3.5m for a suit if you want those lengths to be freely tradeable. Otherwise potential buyers, like me, won't go for 2.0m.

The only lengths I have had for more than 18 months are ones that i fell out of love with and other cuts moved up the pecking order. I think that is a good process for helping to evaluate where your priorities and preferences are.

4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

There is still a decent amount of the Lamlana bunch left. Unless you're tailor is ordering from Isles Textile group I would just let him handle the procurement of the fabric.

5. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Sadly, Harrison charged it anyway:facepalm:

and Fox didn't.

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

What's so special about the london shrunk process?

7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

8. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Does anyone have a recommendation for sourcing scandal fabric directly?

9. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

+1

And I add Loro Panna to the question.

My tailor doesn't carry Loro Panna and I'm yearning for it:

[​IMG]

10. mactire

mactire Senior member

Cheers. I've never had any luck finding their bunches.

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Member

Paris, PM me if you happen to come and want a free
    I have had no luck with suiting so far, but I found this cool selvedge houndstooth shirting recently on a discount, pretty interesting P_20170721_124428.jpg P_20170721_124435.jpg

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I had a Scabal account but closed it as people would end up choosing another mill's fabric due to Scabal's prices. If you are lloking for a specific Loro Piana cloth, if you call one of their USA stores they used to be able to get you a fabric length, if you know the book/number. Expect to pay a ridiculous sum of money for it though.