Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ATWright

ATWright Active Member

I'm not sure what to think about the H&S stuff. There do seem to be some interesting cloths, but a lot of it is quite expensive for what it is, e.g. Crispaire compared to Fresco. And while I respect Simon immensely, I do feel like there's a sponsorship angle in there somewhere.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The cavalry twill from the H&S Dakota book is excellent. I have a pair in dark brown. I think it is around 13oz but drapes like a heavier cloth.

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I think the Dakota book is the best on offer form H&S. Crispaire is nice, but better alternatives are out there. I'm not wild about their jacketing recently, thought thats mostly a stylistic criticism. I dont know why you would choose that house for suitings either.

4. Bespoke DJP

Bespoke DJP Senior member

Dear palodelincak

Left fabric is obviously more versatile, although it may seem more suitable for the spring season.

The right fabric provides a higher contrast with the trousers and it is fall-appropriate.

Therefore, everything depends on your needs and width of your existing SC collection.

Cheers,

Dimitris

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

The H&S city of London book has 13-14 oz suitings that compare favorably (if not better) to anything from the big British mills for a relatively cheap price. Crispaire should be priced around the same as Fresco and it's softer and better color saturation, I find, but you may not want either. The Dakota book is terrific, the Flannels are terrific, the SherryKash book has some jacketings/suitings that you won't find anything similar to anywhere, and the SherryTweed book is a absolute classic for tweeds. The Target/Inner City/Classic Worsteds are all at least on par with similar offerings from the other firms, again at reasonable prices (all under $100/yd).

6. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

Which do you like better for summer suits - a mohair blend of a fresco / finmeresco?

7. The Chai

The Chai Well-Known Member

I don't have access to finmeresco so I can't say. I didn't choose fresco because of the weather. More of the fact that I do ballroom dancing and it breathes better and doesn't crease as much :) my mohair frescos are quite breezy though. I have three suits made in them and about to get a fourth