• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Worsted Alsport has a lot going for it.

Similar options are Fox Twist (rapidly losing entries, it seems), and Glorious Twelfth which is a little more elegant in patterns, but lighter and not so likely to drape luxuriously as the Worsted Alsport.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with that comparison of Worsted Alsport and Glorious Twelfth. Both are excellent, though.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on the various types of Minnis Rangoon? I have historically assumed it was just the standard suiting, but apparently there is a dedicated jacketing type...

Interesting. I always thought Rangoon was suiting, and Riviera was the closest jacketing book to the weight and weave of Rangoon.....

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. One of the gunclub designs for Glorious Twelfth is appealing, but I guess I would like the bit heavier weight. Also, the tailor has a limited cloth selection, so if I want Glorious Twelfth I'd have to get it myself. Is that possible? I recall some mention of a very high markup for Harrison's, but I don't know much about getting my own cloth yet.

I agree with that comparison of Worsted Alsport and Glorious Twelfth. Both are excellent, though.

Worsted Alsport has a lot going for it.

Similar options are Fox Twist (rapidly losing entries, it seems), and Glorious Twelfth which is a little more elegant in patterns, but lighter and not so likely to drape luxuriously as the Worsted Alsport.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I always thought Rangoon was suiting, and Riviera was the closest jacketing book to the weight and weave of Rangoon.....

I agree with SimonC. I've never heard of Rangoon jacketing.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rivera wasn't much like Rangoon, although they were aiming at the same general climate and price point.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone looked through the standard formal wear books recently? I used to think Smith was the best, and now with a recent mailing of swatches, Lesser is the one that looks even blacker in color (not green, as it may have been before). Now, those are samples, so anything good or bad could have happened to them that won't show up in a suit.

I'm looking at very basic 10-12 oz barathea and faille.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked through the standard formal wear books recently? I used to think Smith was the best, and now with a recent mailing of swatches, Lesser is the one that looks even blacker in color (not green, as it may have been before). Now, those are samples, so anything good or bad could have happened to them that won't show up in a suit.

I'm looking at very basic 10-12 oz barathea and faille.

I went with the Schofield & Smith barathea. You may want to give that a look.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good camelhair or alpaca? I'm looking for something in a rich gold (not that pervasive gray/tan) between 9 and 20 oz. I'm looking to make a sport coat rather than an overcoat. I've checked my usual sources and come up empty-handed. Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fundamental Approach to Building a Bespoke Wardrobe (Part 2)

Last time we did a video on the basic theory of building a bespoke wardrobe. We drew up a short list and went through swatch books. In this video, we examine the shortlisted fabrics before they are designed and sent off to the tailor to be converted into garments.

As a business person (finance), I have assembled a composite wardrobe fitting for a business person. Note that I have kept the selections to very basic cloth i.e. staples in plain solids, earth tones and very few patterns.

Enjoy the clip. Alan Bee ...

mactire

Reaction score
I have had mid-heavyweight suits made from Gorina worsteds, made in Spain from Australian wool, and they are good quality with a reasonable price also.

Where did you source the Gorina? I've had no joy in finding any.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics