• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Their worsteds book has a larger collection. Otherwise, Harrisons Oyster would be my first stop.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smith Steadfast (14/15oz), it there is anything left.
Otherwise, there are some excellent 13oz fabrics in the Harrisons Oyster book.
Also, the worsted book at Fox has some traditional navy serges and hopsacks, a few of which are in the 15oz territory.

Thanks Concordia. Can you point me to a specific cloth(s) in the Oyster book? I have the complete travel set.

Regards, Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Can someone who's had one tailored offer a view on Lesser 8/9oz tropical worsted suiting? I like the feel of the cloth but I am concerned about drape and more importantly durability. I have the unfortunate tendency to wear out trouser crotches when the fabric is not sufficiently sturdy.

Thank you in advance

Alan Bee

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Concordia. Can you point me to a specific cloth(s) in the Oyster book? I have the complete travel set.

Regards, Alan Bee
I don't have the book, but based on the website I'd say 75750 and 75751 for classic twill.
Hopsack isn't always featured so prominently, but in the past there have been a light navy and dark navy very much like the twills. Those might be 75712 and 75714, but the pics aren't great and they might be sharkskin.

krakatoa

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Can someone who's had one tailored offer a view on Lesser 8/9oz tropical worsted suiting? I like the feel of the cloth but I am concerned about drape and more importantly durability. I have the unfortunate tendency to wear out trouser crotches when the fabric is not sufficiently sturdy.

Thank you in advance

Alan Bee
Gentlemen,

Thank you in advance

Alan Bee

As I understand the concept of drape, it's a result of a specific type of cut (commonly used by certain houses on SR). Although I did have a suit made up from Lesser tropical, I didn't ask for that type of cut, so I'm not able to tell you whether it would produce the desired result. As for durability, my suit is less than 2 years old so can't really say, but I haven't noticed any durability issues so far. In fact, when made up the suit seems just a little heavier than what I'd like, but may therefore be a little more durable. I hear what you're saying about the crotch wear, as this has affected two of my older (8 year old) suits made with 10/11oz. (nonsuper) Scabal cloth, so I may well see this problem with the tropicals by the time they reach that longevity (or earlier). I usually now ask for a cloth lining for the crotch and so far, it's worked.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Phoenix bunch screams summer weight but the texture says other wise.

Pretty sure @Murlsquirl has that exact Phoenix cloth (@Newcomer has another color) and despite the numbers it doesn't seem to really be summer weight. Maybe if it was sparsely lined.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I understand the concept of drape, it's a result of a specific type of cut (commonly used by certain houses on SR). Although I did have a suit made up from Lesser tropical, I didn't ask for that type of cut, so I'm not able to tell you whether it would produce the desired result. As for durability, my suit is less than 2 years old so can't really say, but I haven't noticed any durability issues so far. In fact, when made up the suit seems just a little heavier than what I'd like, but may therefore be a little more durable. I hear what you're saying about the crotch wear, as this has affected two of my older (8 year old) suits made with 10/11oz. (nonsuper) Scabal cloth, so I may well see this problem with the tropicals by the time they reach that longevity (or earlier). I usually now ask for a cloth lining for the crotch and so far, it's worked.

Thank you for your prompt response Krakatoa.

Would you be kind enough to address other properties of this cloth when fully made up such as holding a trouser crease and wrinkles. I am particularly sensitive to a clean back and my prior experience suggests that light weight cloth moves a lot thereby rendering a clean back a tailoring challenge. Based on counsel I've received here on this thread, I'm trying out a roomier (fuller) cut hence my question regarding drape.

Any other observed characteristics also welcome.

Thank you in advance

Alan Bee

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure @Murlsquirl has that exact Phoenix cloth (@Newcomer has another color) and despite the numbers it doesn't seem to really be summer weight. Maybe if it was sparsely lined.

My first Phoenix jacket was suggested by Chris when I was looking for a spring/summer jacket. His suggestion was that it would be light enough to work in the Chicago summer (outside of the hottest days), but that it would also be appropriate the rest of the year. I now have two jackets from that book and I wouldn't hesitate to get a third.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads