• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am amused that those who so despise these videos apparently can't help themselves and must click on them. I clicked early on and realized they were not my thing. I have summoned my (obviously superhuman) strength to scroll on by since.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am amused that those who so despise these videos apparently can't help themselves and must click on them. I clicked early on and realized they were not my thing. I have summoned my (obviously superhuman) strength to scroll on by since.

Its like a car accident, you have to just look and then regret immediately looking

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or hotel-room Appreciation. One of these days, it's got to be worth it, right?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well well well, what to say Jay?

I don't hold a candle to you or some of the fellows on this thread but I've always maintained that we are all here to learn. In that regard, every comment has been instructive and I am better informed (I hope) today than I was the day before.

One of the key tenets of my favorite philosophy "Stoicism" is that life if nothing is the continuous pursuit of virtue. There is no destination ("there") whether measured by material possession or learning, someone will always surpass you when you arrive at your "there". There is only the journey or process. And I consider it my great privilege to have you all as my virtual tutors on this particular sartorial journey.

As to appropriateness (or lack thereof) of the videos, I believe that matter has been long settled by the owner and administrator of the forum, L.A. Guy. Of course I welcome your comments and critiques, harsh and mild alike and as someone said, you can always avoid the gore of the accident scene by resisting the urge to rubberneck.

Thank you gentlemen and a good evening to you Sirs.

Alan Bee

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone identify the colour of this corduroy?

Fawn? Tan? Beige? I'm looking for a needlecord exactly like this. Can someone relate this colour with something in the Eskdale cloth book from Huddersfield Fine Worsteds? That would be great.

Corduroy.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan, since learning is the intended goal, what exactly is it you are learning? I could well be wrong, but it seems you're changing virtually nothing, and falling back on the "so and so says it's OK, so there" line every time someone makes mention of it.

To me, your videos simply don't do justice to the fabric you are supposedly highlighting, which would, presumably, be at least part of your intent for posting in this thread. Your barathea tuxedo looks like a lifeless black. Your sharkskin workhorse looks a lifeless grey. Unless you're using an incredible camera, it becomes rather difficult to pick up the nuance of the cloth.

I may be the only one making this request, but why not snap a quick picture or two that WILL actually highlight the nature of a given cloth, and perhaps provide your assessment of said cloth? @Pliny is the king of the crappy cell phone pic, and those pics provide the viewer the best view of the cloth possible, at least to my eye.

If only to me, you'd be a valued contributor to the cloth thread, if you would focus, at least partly, on the cloth.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan, since learning is the intended goal, what exactly is it you are learning? I could well be wrong, but it seems you're changing virtually nothing, and falling back on the "so and so says it's OK, so there" line every time someone makes mention of it.

To me, your videos simply don't do justice to the fabric you are supposedly highlighting, which would, presumably, be at least part of your intent for posting in this thread. Your barathea tuxedo looks like a lifeless black. Your sharkskin workhorse looks a lifeless grey. Unless you're using an incredible camera, it becomes rather difficult to pick up the nuance of the cloth.

I may be the only one making this request, but why not snap a quick picture or two that WILL actually highlight the nature of a given cloth, and perhaps provide your assessment of said cloth? @Pliny is the king of the crappy cell phone pic, and those pics provide the viewer the best view of the cloth possible, at least to my eye.

If only to me, you'd be a valued contributor to the cloth thread, if you would focus, at least partly, on the cloth.

Thank you Eric for your thoughtful comments. Highly appreciated.

What am I learning? I have sent back some of these garments to the tailors strictly on the basis of some of the critiques here. Such critiques may have been accompanied by snide remarks (and even caricatures in more than one instance). But in this life you see what you wish to observe, the only thing in your sole control being your own conduct.

As to your second point regarding the content of the videos, you are absolutely on point and I am presently interviewing folks better suited to that sort of thing than Alan Bee with his Sony 4K camera on a tripod. I hope that yields better results when a trained pair of eyes gets behind the camera.

And to your third and final point, I will make certain to focus more on the cloth (both in commentary and visuals) in the next set of videos on Sport Jackets.

Accept every assurance of my sincere regards

Alan Bee

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bamboo

Reaction score
Can someone identify the colour of this corduroy?

Fawn? Tan? Beige? I'm looking for a needlecord exactly like this. Can someone relate this colour with something in the Eskdale cloth book from Huddersfield Fine Worsteds? That would be great.

Getting HFW's sample is the most sure thing. Below is Brisbane Moss color sample.
I think it is quite possible that they use the same language to describe the color. So I guess it is Fawn.

View attachment 832111
20170823_080503.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to appropriateness (or lack thereof) of the videos, I believe that matter has been long settled by the owner and administrator of the forum, L.A. Guy.

It isnt a question of appropriateness. You arent being belligerent, abusive or vulgar. However, you are kind of being a dick by continuing to post content that no one wants to see and have repeatedly asked you not to post in this thread.

On more than one occasion (maybe 100's of times...), you have been provided wonderful advice to start your own thread so you can share those fabulous and under appreciated videos with the world. While you have chosen not to take that advice up to now, I think you have just been waiting for the right title. Allow me to offer "Alan Bee's Fabulous Fabric and philosophy thread".

This is my gift to you. Please make use of it as I would hate to see that title wasted...

Au revoir Alan Bee! Bon chance!

etostano

Reaction score
It isnt a question of appropriateness. You arent being belligerent, abusive or vulgar. However, you are kind of being a dick by continuing to post content that no one wants to see and have repeatedly asked you not to post in this thread.

On more than one occasion (maybe 100's of times...), you have been provided wonderful advice to start your own thread so you can share those fabulous and under appreciated videos with the world. While you have chosen not to take that advice up to now, I think you have just been waiting for the right title. Allow me to offer "Alan Bee's Fabulous Fabric and philosophy thread".

This is my gift to you. Please make use of it as I would hate to see that title wasted...

Au revoir Alan Bee! Bon chance!

@LA Guy any chance you would be willing to revisit your prior ruling and have re off topic videos and discussion thereof moved to a new thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads