Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ah-- different section. Curious.
    I wonder if a hot wash/dry would bring the Tyrone to spec.

3. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

I don't know but I doubt so because the finishing of the Tropical is very smooth.

It seems Tyrone is a range under the Ulster Weavers's brand and Tropical is a range under Spence Bryson's brand. No clue why they do have two retail brands if they produce under the same roof.

4. supern0va

supern0va Senior member

The colour range for Tyrone looks attractive. But at 270gsm, it seems to be quite a bit lighter than w bill's 380gsm? I guess the drape will be less good too?

Ulster weavers has a range called lislea that's heavier at 300gsm. Wonder if that is better. The colour range is smaller though.

5. NavyGrenadine

NavyGrenadine New Member

Would like a recommendation, please.

I would like the perfect versatile, year-round (UK) charcoal suit acceptable for weddings, job interviews, funerals, the office.

I would ideally like something in a mid-weight (9-12 oz) and without a pattern.

I also do not want the colour to be boring. If there's a bit of depth that can be added to the charcoal, maybe with hints of blue and/or brown that would be great.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

For the UK, if you're willing to give up a little in the summer and wear a winter coat occasionally, Harrisons Frontier (10oz) has some excellent patterns that are just boring enough. For three-season wear, the P&B Fine Classic book (11-12oz), also from Harrisons, is very fine. There may be a Smith book in about that weight that will also do well. Whether you go for pick-and-pick, pindot, nailhead, or herringbone is up to you and your needs. www.harrisonsofedinburgh.com