• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
3. A dark green jacketing, perhaps tweed, perhaps Italian, perhaps herringbone
Not italian, but W. Bill has or had a some great green herringbone tweed.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Thanks. Should've checked the obvious first!
Be aware that the canvas is too difficult for some stitching. I got a refusal from NsM to work on it.

They do a lot of hand sewing, though. Don't know if SR's machines can tolerate it.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i assumed OP was talking about a cotton twill, from the pic and description that looks/sounds more like awning canvas.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not italian, but W. Bill has or had a some great green herringbone tweed.
Caccioppoli has a great green Donegal tweed that is lighter in weight

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations if possible, for:

Grateful for any ideas!

Loro Piana Jacketing book has two gorgeous examples, one a bit lighter, one darker. W. Bill has a great swatch in one of their jacketing books currently. Finally, I saw the newest Ariston book today and there is a great donegal if that would work. It has some silk in it, so not a heavyweight...

dfoverdx

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations if possible, for:

1. A very matte medium or dark grey pick and pick/sharkskin in a fairly heavy weight. Have been looking at Dugdale royal classics version at around 12/13oz

2. A very broad scale navy herringbone suiting (maybe 1cm per 'stripe') somewhere between 11 and 14oz. Neither scale in the Dugdale books is wide enough. I really dislike narrow herringbone and narrow stripes generally

Grateful for any ideas!

1. I'd look at H Lesser 13oz, Smiths Botany or steadfast and last but not least schofield and smith has also quite matte finish 12-13oz suitings which is very nice. (i don't remember the name)

2. maybe you should look fabrics other than worsteds like tweed or flannel where wide HB or wide stripes have a discreter look. Personally i don't like HB in worsteds but it's great in tweed and flannel suitings

3. agree with emptym comments on W Bill, they have some very nice shades. If you look for a classic green tweed you can also have a look to Porter and Harding.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_8997.jpg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i assumed OP was talking about a cotton twill, from the pic and description that looks/sounds more like awning canvas.

Nantucket reds have their origins as sail cloth that was also used by Breton sailors for clothing. So I'm not surprised that Murray uses cotton canvas.

http://www.ivy-style.com/seventy-years-the-history-of-murrays-and-its-famous-nantucket-reds.html

I have a linen pair made by NSM from one of the stonewashed books. The color is right but the drape isn't. If I were to do it again, I would pick a linen with more heft.

Incidentally, I was in Nantucket a few weeks ago and saw few people wearing Nantucket reds. In Europe OTOH I see people wearing Nantucket reds all the time but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it is supposed to have originated from Europe.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if this is quite the same, but the cost is much lower. And it pretends to be pre-washed.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nantucket reds have their origins as sail cloth that was also used by Breton sailors for clothing. So I'm not surprised that Murray uses cotton canvas.

http://www.ivy-style.com/seventy-years-the-history-of-murrays-and-its-famous-nantucket-reds.html

I have a linen pair made by NSM from one of the stonewashed books. The color is right but the drape isn't. If I were to do it again, I would pick a linen with more heft.

Incidentally, I was in Nantucket a few weeks ago and saw few people wearing Nantucket reds. In Europe OTOH I see people wearing Nantucket reds all the time but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it is supposed to have originated from Europe.

what a fun article, the yarn seemed to spin itself haha. maybe i'll order some of that fabric and see what it wants to be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads