• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good points, though I would say the one thing that underscores this is everyone on this thread evidently loves cloth. Extending the search for cloth is just another way to lengthen the bespoke chase, and I'm sure tailors appreciate it more than having us in the store for countless hours looking through swatch books when they could be serving other clients.

That said, I was looking for some books under the Harrison's umbrella that my tailor didn't have and ended up in their showroom on Sackville Street, just down from Savile Row. I'm not entirely sure it's intended for customers to just rock up, I think my tailor mentioned something about it awhile ago, though I didn't get any impression that I was unwelcome from the staff. A really helpful young guy showed me the books I was looking for, as well as some that were yet to be released. But the highlight was the vintage/deadstock cloth, a solid portion of which was older that I am. I took a quick photo which represents about an eight of the offerings. A lot of stuff in stripes and qualities you don't find anymore.

View attachment 795804

Since so much of it is discontinued or end of the bolt, etc, they require you to buy all the remaining length, but they basically charge the per meter price for the whole length, meaning it's a great bargain. I'm getting some tan summer trouser cloths from H. Lesser & Sons. I have trousers in another vintage Lesser of the same bunch, based on the selvedge/year/finish, just a slightly darker color. It drapes and resists wrinkles impeccably, so I hope this will live up to that.

I'll post pictures later, but given I'll be getting 3m+ of each, and don't see a need for two identical pairs of trousers, anyone who wants can have the left over 1.5m+ for cost price.

Congrats on the find. The vibrancy of color in old H. Lesser cloths was incredible. From what I understand they achieved the effect with dyes that have been made illegal in more recent years. Lesser also used to be famous for its extremely exacting standards in every part of the weaving/finishing process-- standards which have apparently been relaxed in recent years. I like many of their current cloths, but they don't stack up to the older stuff I've seen. Please do post pictures.

milosh

Reaction score
What books should I be looking at for summer wool? Ideally available to buy in cut lengths.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funded: my length of LL Agnelli tweed.

fit-17-06-05-2-jpg.792587

fit-17-06-05-4-jpg.792588

fit-17-06-05-5-jpg.792589

Made up for me by Coccinella of Osaka.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funded: my length of LL Agnelli tweed.

fit-17-06-05-2-jpg.792587

fit-17-06-05-4-jpg.792588

fit-17-06-05-5-jpg.792589

Made up for me by Coccinella of Osaka.
That looks beautiful! It's a great cloth and you'll enjoy that suit for a long time to come!

ATWright

Reaction score
If you can't find any there's a similar piece from HFW flannel, 510003, though not a rope windowpane. It looks better in person.

dfoverdx

Reaction score
I've 5m of this cloth, even though i am selling a lot of cloth in these days i will keep this for myself.
There's design of course but what i really like with the Agnelli tweed is the type of cloth. It's a very good tweed suiting, is not feeling very heavy, good density, and slightly drier than P&H glenroyal and not on the rustic side.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've 5m of this cloth, even though i am selling a lot of cloth in these days i will keep this for myself.
There's design of course but what i really like with the Agnelli tweed is the type of cloth. It's a very good tweed suiting, is not feeling very heavy, good density, and slightly drier than P&H glenroyal and not on the rustic side.

Is your stuff on B&S?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on choosing a cloth for a business suit to be worn year-round in NYC office. I will be using a tailor that requires CMT. I already have a solid navy and charcoal suits amongst others. I've narrowed my choices down to the following. Any thoughts?

Dormeuil Iconik Charcoal and Blue
Dormeuil iconik charcoal and blue.jpg

Grey Glen Check Super 120s

Grey Glen Check Super 120's.JPG

HS Grey Nailhead

HS 100s Grey Nailhead.jpg

HS Prince of Wales

HS Prince of Wales 100s.jpg

Lesser

Vintage Lesser.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The HS POW without a doubt for me. Uber classic.

I tend to agree.

The first one is too self-stripe-y, which I have no love for.

The POW with purple overcheck may be my most favorite, but I definitely view it as FW only.

The nailhead seems a little directional, less classic - more dotted appearance.

I am not a huge pinstripe guy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads