• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
actually, the light grey and dark blue are bad, they others are very nice. Zegna would have similar stuff, I am sure I can find something similar from my typical sources, but would not want you to hold your breath.

this seems needlessly snarky. it's just fabric.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
this seems needlessly snarky. it's just fabric.

eh.gif
confused.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

banis

Reaction score
Parker, no it was done by another tailor at the same sartoria. Shoud have somewhere pictures. As for the cloth, I think that I've seen it at the Caccioppoli Napoli. There were SA who speak English, so you may try contacting them.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys. Ed, I'll pm you. Banis, is that a cloth merchant in Naples? Would be neat to check out their inventory some day.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Cool. Thanks guys. Ed, I'll pm you. Banis, is that a cloth merchant in Naples? Would be neat to check out their inventory some day.

Mina carries them, they are basically a reseller of Loro and VBC I think, probably their own designs. They actually have a blue solaro
fing02[1].gif

banis

Reaction score
Yes, they are cloth merchant in Napoli. They carry some brands, mostly by Italian mills, a bit of English stuff, nice Irish linen (I have a pair of pants made of it) and own cloth, which is, as Ed told rebranded VBC mostly.

Mina, as most tailors in Napoli, have their books. I think that I've even seen their books in some Moscow retail stores that carry Italian brands and offer MTM.

As for Solaro, I've seen a book with different colours of solaro - blue, green, khaki. There were wool & cashmere mixes and some cotton in the range of 7-10.5 oZ. I don't remember the mill, but the book itself was named something like "Gabardine and Solaro" and was in black colour.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the John Molloy donegal tweeds:

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

I am loathe to remove the bolts from the packaging lest I find myself incompetent to re-pack it before I visit my tailor.

For the sake of colour reference, the packaging in the first picture is black, our walls are a very light sort of beige (baseboards are white) and the floor is a dark oak stain. I would describe the fabrics as sandy herringbone, charcoal herringbone and a more-blue-than-green plain donegal weave.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Here are some pics of the John Molloy donegal tweeds:

Awesome! The sandy herringbone stands out for me, but all are fantastic. Have fun with them!

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
IMG_0209.jpg

I like them all. Hope they turn out well.
Picked up some linen, the forth one from left is a cool "denim" that I am really digging and also liking the royal blue

photo-50.jpg

Very nice. I really want a good, washable linen suit. I had one made in the Philippines. It's ok, but the collar is too low and loose.

fox81

Reaction score
Mina carries them, they are basically a reseller of Loro and VBC I think, probably their own designs. They actually have a blue solaro
fing02[1].gif

i dont think reseller is the right term. the fabrics are indeed made by loro piana and VBC, but are their own designs and as best to my knowledge, only available in the caccioppoli (sp?) books.

many other well known fabric brands have their cloths made by other mills.

the caccioppoli books are bright orange with a purple outline of vesuvius on them. ive seen them at one or two tailors on the row, but are typically hard to find outside of italy

http://www.caccioppolinapoli.it/

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of having this made up, but am undecided between a jacket, or a suit. Thoughts?

IMG_2116-3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads