Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

How many suits are you thinking about getting? If two, mine would be 39176 and 39169.

Two suits in worsted flannel, 39169 and 39174 (brown in town) are the current leading contenders.

Those are my favorites, too. And the moonbeam brown glen plaid.

That's my favorite of the moonbeam swatches. Did you end up committing to the similar LP cashmere?

IMO, both 9.5/10 and 13 are superior to 11/12. The latter is just too "soft" and lacks body. The 9.5/10 performs significantly better.

Thanks. I suppose this was a bit counterintuitive for me, as someone who's reading up on cloth fundamentals regarding weight and performance. Any recommendations for worsteds that can take me from late Parisian fall through early spring? (shouldn't be too different from NY)

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I've read that LL thread myself. I have the 9/10 being made up right now, but as I thought the 13 would be a bit much for me (I like to layer as I tend to overhead), I've decided to experiment with the 11/12. Others more experienced may chime in here, as I'm still learning the ropes. But I've got the 9/10 and 11/12 swatches in front of me and cannot discern any difference in quality.
    I have a DB in the 13 that performs amazingly well. I'm amazed how well it resists wrinkles. But you are correct that it wears warm and can be difficult to wear if your office is well heated.

4. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Is that Moonbeam 36525, grey and chalk windowpane, or is there another color in there? And are you thinking of that for a suit or a jacket?

There is a rust windowpane as well which shadows the chalk. If I end up doing anything with this one it would be for a DB odd coat.

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Two suits in worsted flannel, 39169 and 39174 (brown in town) are the current leading contenders.

That's my favorite of the moonbeam swatches. Did you end up committing to the similar LP cashmere?

Thanks. I suppose this was a bit counterintuitive for me, as someone who's reading up on cloth fundamentals regarding weight and performance. Any recommendations for worsteds that can take me from late Parisian fall through early spring? (shouldn't be too different from NY)

The third would be 39174. All three would be great additions. You should do at least one in DB.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The third would be 39174. All three would be great additions. You should do at least one in DB.

I'm pretty sure that the one I have (SB) is 39174. Sort of dark tan/medium grey. A nice weight, well-behaved. Excellent Friday suit. Maybe not a world-beater but the sort of thing that might die of old age in 15 years because it's easy to put on.

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

If the 13oz is too much, you could go lighter. Harrison's Frontier is a pretty basic year-round fabric. The LL Brisa (and there are other non-LL models of that quality offered by Lovat Mill-- just call them and ask) drapes even better than the 10oz Frontier and breathes nicely in over-heated rooms. Neither is a winter weight but neither will make you look stupid in the cold weather.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

what office would allow you in it [​IMG]

Why... the BACK office, obviously.

9. C&A

C&A Senior member

The LL Brisa (and there are other non-LL models of that quality offered by Lovat Mill-- just call them and ask)

Thanks for the tip. Just phoned them. Friendly people and happy to send me some swatches.

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Gents - For my 520 Minnis fresco blazersuit, should I go with this: [​IMG] or that: [​IMG]

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Top [​IMG]

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Betweem those two, top definitely.

But a DB BS is somewhat limiting.

13. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Top [​IMG]

+1

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Betweem those two, top definitely.

But a DB BS is somewhat limiting.

Top it is.

I know but I'm getting a SB BS in the 516 so I wanted to have something different for the 520.

Refresh my memory - swelled edges on the BS, right?

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Top it is.

I know but I'm getting a SB BS in the 516 so I wanted to have something different for the 520.

Refresh my memory - swelled edges on the BS, right?

I did because I think it makes it work better as an odd jacket. Plus, all my BSes are in textured cloth.