Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Trini, you may want to consider a shirt collar that is a bit lower in height, a bit more spread and 1/2 or so longer points.

What do you guys think of the shade of blue. It's for pants, I thought it was a great shade for the spring/summer for brown linen jackets, grey jackets and the brighter spring stuff. It's got a luscious hand.

Kind of dad-jeans denim, no? I'd prefer something with more grey in it.

2. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

OK, here's something that might interest you guys. Frank had mentioned that a customer brought him some cloth that was (Major Fabric Producer's Brand Here) Gabardine Super something. He said he wasn't totally sold on it, even though the selvedge was clearly (Major Fabric Producer's Brand Here). Lo and behold, he was dead on. When the (Major Fabric Producer's Brand Here) sales rep was at the shop, he showed him the fabric. The rep felt it and knew right away something was off, and said that its not one of theirs. Upon further inspection, "Gaberdine" was misspelled on the selvedge. Turns out that there are many counterfeit cloths that are Made in (guess where...) China, and thrown onto the market for purchase. I thought the fake D&B bags on Canal St were the extent of the counterfeit operations coming out of China. This blew my mind. Moral, just make sure you examine fabric you buy closely, especially if you get it at closeout prices or discount fabric stores. You really need to know your shit to avoid getting scammed.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've seen "Made in Huddesfield" and "Dormeul" and other funny shit on selvedges at a local fabric shop as well.

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've seen "Made in Huddesfield" and "Dormeul" and other funny shit on selvedges at a local fabric shop as well.

[​IMG]

These guys can fake eggs, let alone fabric.

4. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gshen, are there any local fabric shops actually worth going to? I didn't find my explorations of Singapore that promising.

5. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gshen, are there any local fabric shops actually worth going to? I didn't find my explorations of Singapore that promising.

Nope, none worth your time or effort..

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nothing wrong with a bit of Dormeul...[​IMG]

7. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Got some Lesser 11/12, more Moonbeam, and Harissons worsted flannel. A lot of the basics covered here, will have some difficulty prioritizing. Anyone have experience with Harrisons worsted flannel, or suggestions for alternatives? I particularly like the brown PoW and the greyish brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you checked out the Lesser flannel? I think they are mostly worsted flannels. BTW how do you like the Lesser 11/12? Shattuck doesn't seem to like that particular book although he generally likes Lesser. http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...tart=15#p52297

9. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

How many suits are you thinking about getting? If two, mine would be 39176 and 39169.

10. medtech_expat

I've read that LL thread myself. I have the 9/10 being made up right now, but as I thought the 13 would be a bit much for me (I like to layer as I tend to overhead), I've decided to experiment with the 11/12. Others more experienced may chime in here, as I'm still learning the ropes. But I've got the 9/10 and 11/12 swatches in front of me and cannot discern any difference in quality.

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Go 11/12

12. medtech_expat

Go 11/12

To clarify - do you mean as opposed to the 9/10 or the 13 (or both)? Thanks.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

IMO, both 9.5/10 and 13 are superior to 11/12. The latter is just too "soft" and lacks body. The 9.5/10 performs significantly better.

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

How many suits are you thinking about getting? If two, mine would be 39176 and 39169.
    Those are my favorites, too. And the moonbeam brown glen plaid. 13 is too much for me. I have the 13 oz Harrison woolen and it's too hot for me (in SF) and the jacket just feels heavy. However, Mina's jacket will probably feel light given her construction.

15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Is that Moonbeam 36525, grey and chalk windowpane, or is there another color in there? And are you thinking of that for a suit or a jacket?