1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I second the Fresco Lite suggestion, but also thought I would mention the Holland and Sherry Mohair option. I think they are on the pricier side of things, but they look really nice. I also wanted to second the advice to have the suit cut slightly bigger since mohair doesnt have much give as I found with a tuxedo commission from several years ago. I can only wear it when I am fighting fit...

2. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Dormeuil Tonik :-(?

3. yasu10s

yasu10s Well-Known Member

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I think Merchant & Mills have some.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 11:37 PM
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, maybe denim isn't what I'm looking for. I want something casual and cotton, but less flat like khaki, something with a bit more verigation. Does khaki exist with a different warp than weft thread color similar to denim?

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Moleskin is always useful, if not so much for summer.

8. BespokePervert

BespokePervert New Member

Not exactly sure what you're going for with denim then khaki, but perhaps:

Linen twill: https://jhannaltd.com/collections/specials/products/oat-twill
    Cotton twill: http://www.brisbanemoss.co.uk/shadecard.php?id=32#

And you can pick up Japanese denim cut to whatever length you want on ebay if you really want some.
    From what I've sourced that way, it tends to be heavy which sounds like it's the opposite of what you're going for, if this is intended to be worn in warm weather. If you contact the sellers, maybe they have lightweight stuff too- at the time I was only interested in heavyweight denim.

Good luck

aristoi bcn likes this.
  9. LuxireStudio

LuxireStudio Senior member

A heavier chambray perhaps? The attached are from Kuroki Japan, for example. ~8 Oz weight.

Showing 3 options with 3 different types of weaves and how the shade can vary with type of washing done.
    IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017 at 4:07 AM
    S K M, kolecho and aristoi bcn like this.
  10. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Omg I want to make shirts out of all of them

lordsuperb likes this.
  11. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Those are awesome. Would a shirt jacket made of heavy chambray leave a stain if worn over another shirt?

12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Just wear denim over denim baby problem solved

13. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks a lot, hoping to receive my swatches next week :)

14. S K M

S K M Senior member

Those are awesome, can one buy the fabric online?

15. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

DSC_0006.JPG

Planning 2017-2018 projects. Winter on the left, summer on the right. Volpe and Cerrato will be in charge. Single inward pleats for flannels and single forward pleats for frescoes. Grey jacket will be single breasted with three patch pockets with one button sleeve and navy blazer will be double breasted with barchetta breast pocket and patch pockets. Now I hope Volpe and Cerrato can source the buttons displayed because the ones shown are spare buttons from RTW jackets I have and I can't find them anywhere (suggestions to source them are wellcome).

For those who haven't handle the new Mock Leno from Minnis: It's really a blazer cloth. I wouldn't call it hopsack because I don't know if it's the technical term, but the weave is much more intricate than the regular Fresco.

I ordered some swatches from the Phoneix book from W. Bill and I have to say that I love all of them. Soft merino in classic colours and waves (pick and pick, barleycorns, POW...).

Thank you for all the suggestions when I was asking about flannels and frescoes.