1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Quote:great color, let me know if you know of a wool gabardine in this color.

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

3. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Recently funded: LL Sicilian Tweed warn along the Thames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

Funded: MTM softshell pants.

[​IMG]

5. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What are softshell pants?

1 person likes this.
  6. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

@hirschlederne That's mean. ^^^^

I'm getting a jacket in Ventile (cotton, from SEH Kelly). I guess it's a kind of soft shell, but natural, and I'm told, reasonably water resistant.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. LuxireStudio

LuxireStudio Senior member

Solbiati has both these shades in their 100% cotton suiting bunch.

9. S K M

S K M Senior member

Gents, I'm about to commission a sharp-looking, double brested, navy blue suit for a summer wedding (my own, actually). What are your recommendations for cloth?

For a sharp and crisp look I thought about a mohair blend, and had actually subscribed to the recent LL run, but sadly they ran out of cloth even though I had subscribed :( Anyway, as a replacement I thought about Smith Woollen's Super Kid Mohair (70 wool/30 mohair), or likewise from their formal wear bunch. Any experience with these? I would prefer if the surface had some interest to it (hopsack weave or the like) instead of being completely plain/smooth.

Thanks in advance!

calypso likes this.
  10. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior member

Minnis Fresco (possibly with Mohair). Or Minnis Classic (three shades of blue hopsack).

S K M likes this.
  11. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks, I'm also very fond of fresco, but I think it has a bit too rough or dry feel. However, I haven't tried the versions with mohair so should maybe get some swatches...

12. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior member

The new Fresco Lite feels quite smooth (at least compared to the classic Fresco qualities) and would be perfect for conservative summer suits. Fresco Mohair feels quite rough, as do all Mohair cloths I know of. Minnis Classic would not be typical summer weight but I believe you are from Northern Europe so it might still be suitable.

S K M likes this.
  13. Bespoke DJP

Bespoke DJP Senior member

Dear fellow SFer,

First of all, congratulations for your forthcoming wedding, I am wishing you all the best!

If you are adamant on a Wool/Mohair blend, but you would consider an italian cloth option, in the Zegna Seasonal (Anteprima) collection SS'17 you may find a really crisp wool/mohair suiting cloth (don't remember the exact composition), dark navy with a white/light grey pinstripe. It is a very nice cloth that, should you have access to this offering, fits your requirements.

In order to have your options open, why don't you take a look?

Cheers,

Dimitris

14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I have a suit in the Smith's wool/mohair. Assuming you don't mind a little bit of sheen, it's a great fabric. Drapes well, looks crisp all day, and the colors have a depth that you can't get with wool. I really enjoy wearing it. Be aware, mohair has a little less give than wool so if you wear your suits cut closely, it may be uncomfortable.

S K M likes this.
  15. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Sound like the Smith's wool/mohair might actually be what I'm after, but will see if I can check out the Zegna as well.

Mr. Pink, what version of the Smith's do you have – one of the 30/70 or 60/40 mohair/wool? And I realise mohair will always have a slight sheen, but I hope it's not overtly shiny?

Cheers!
    S K M

16. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I suspect they got eaten with the forum move but conceptual 4est posted some photos not long ago in the NMWA thread of his wool/mohair wedding suit (with black canvas so that the flash photos aren't affected--which was a great idea). If you can find the posts you might find out what he chose. The photos looked good.

S K M likes this.
  17. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks a lot, will try to find it!

18. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I have the 60/40. I don't find it overly shiny, and before getting it, I was hesitant about mohair for just that reason.

19. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

FYI (no shill) Huddersfield Textiles has some decent looking and super inexpensive Taylor & Lodge (AFAIK) summer jacketings at the moment. It can be a lucky dip, but I got a fav POW suiting from them a while back for pretty much the price of the postage. I assume they still sell to public.