• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've become increasingly annoyed by how my unlined jackets catch on my waist/hips.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats an interesting question, extending from this, on winter fabric.
Would you guys do cashmere unlined ?

For tweed I am sure one would lined due to the scratchy-ness.

How about something soft like cashmere or woolen flannel ?

No.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm so quarter lined jacket and fully lined trousers for the cream linen suit. Got it, thanks.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
I have a quarter lined cashmere sport coat that I really like, but it does tend to catch on my waste which leads to the vents acting funny. That being said, I love how it feels wearing it.

All in all, I'd probably stick to lined stuff in the future.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've never purchased cloth for a project before but, if you can believe it, my girlfriend is forcing my hand for a project of hers (she's actually going to get a MTM coat before me!).

She's found a coat that she loves but is looking to get one made with some slight alterations. However, she's in love with the fabric - a wool/nylon 80/20 blend that has a bit of heft with structure but still drapes nicely - and wants to get near exactly the same thing. Since I don't have local access to fabrics and can't shop them by hand, I'm not sure how to go about finding something similar. Any tips on how to proceed?

If it helps - here's pics from the coat (it's from net-a-porter here: http://www.net-a-porter.com/us/en/product/572869/co/wool-blend-coat )

Appreciate any input!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If a RTW coat is solid but not too heavy, figure something like 17-20oz. (I'm guessing-- someone in the industry can set me straight.) If you don't want an enormous premium, look for wool without cashmere or anything like that. Lambswool will be a bit more luxurious and expensive-- maybe worth it.

Go to the Harrisons of Edinburgh site, and their coatings (Harrisons own label, and W Bill) will have a lot of options. The Merchant Fox has a smaller but very nice book, as well. HFW Minnis has some very basic choices, as does Dugdale.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for women, they probably will like the offerings of Ariston and Drapers with the vibrant colours.

I also think women tend to like lighter weight fabrics.

Btw the cut of the coat looks really long, it probably only works on heels.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was thinking photoshop

That woman is at least 8ft tall

Btw the cut of the coat looks really long, it probably only works on heels.

Actually, I think it's a visual trick of the buttons all having a high placement on the jacket. My girlfridn is about 5'6 or 5'7 and was wearing it with country type boots that had a much lower stacked heel and it came to about an 1-2 inches off the floor.

Yes, that's not very practical out in a real world of snow, but we're in Florida and where that doesn't happen and, more importantly, she prefers the long "almost to the ground" look irregardless of whether it's functional or not. (shakes head) "women."

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If a RTW coat is solid but not too heavy, figure something like 17-20oz. (I'm guessing-- someone in the industry can set me straight.)

Concoria - Thanks for all the input.

Can anyone else weigh in as to whether that fabric eyeballs like a 17-20oz or higher/lower?

I think for women, they probably will like the offerings of Ariston and Drapers with the vibrant colours.

I'll take a look at those, but in this case she wants a charcoal or black

I also think women tend to like lighter weight fabrics.

I think you are generally right, but in this case she likes this piece being a bit more substantial.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@razl, for what it's worth, I find that fabric stores (the high-end ones) and jobbers usually carry more women's fabrics than men's. If you're not in the US, Mood Fabrics in NYC will do remote orders. They also get a lot of turnover (like a lot of these places), so it's worth checking back every once in a while.

Last edited:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you guys describe the difference between the LL navy blue Brisa and Minnis Fresco 0516? I really love the depth of colour of the 0516, but I'm somehow tempted to try out the Brisa instead, though I guess it's more smooth and less coarse than the LL? Any inputs much appreciated :)

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color on the Brisa is nice - I've seen it described as an inky blue and that seems pretty much perfect from what I remember.

But I hate the Brisa suit I have - it's not a smooth cloth but very spongy and wrinkles when you look at it.

If you like Fresco, you won't necessarily like Brisa and - in my case anyway - will actively dislike the Brisa.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, you're actually the first person I have heard speaking negatively of the Brisa (for other reasons than the price that is). But thanks, much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads