• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unfortunately i have never worn a blazer in my life and plan on buying one. I would really appreciate your help in choosing from the following

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think any of them are appropriate as your first, and so presumably only, blazer.

Those are all fine as a second or third option, but as your first you want something a bit more conservative.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
All these jackets are, I think, completely unstructured, meaning they will fit very casually. That can be good, but it doesn’t suit all frames and it doesn’t suit all occasions where a proper, more structured jacket, is more appropriate.
I don’t usually advocate a ‘basic‘ wardrobe as an entry point as I think it ignores people’s individual tastes and it can actually be quite boring, but considering you’re looking for something for “business casual”, navy is probably your best bet.
Natalino make great jackets at an affordable price. Slightly more expensive than the ones you’ve listed, but still excellent value. They’re half canvas, giving them some shape in the chest and shoulder, albeit the canvas is very light and there’s no padding, so they’re not too formal.

https://natalino.co/products/sport-jacket-dark-blue-hopsack

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's just for business casual meets, just get something you like and which fits you properly (or at least can be tailored to fit) - so make sure the shoulders fit first, because they are the least amenable to being altered). Don't listen to anyone who says that you have to have a traditionally-styled navy blue blazer first. You don't. That's based on very outdated and very class-specific codes of conduct and dress which really don't apply to most people. If you like navy blue, and it suits you, then sure. But do not do it because some rule-bound forumites say so. At the same time, I wouldn't go for something too loud that makes you stand out too much as 'that guy in the crazy jacket'. Most of the options you give are pretty safe anyway, except the light colored, seersucker one, which doesn't even seem like the same thing. I'd also recommend having a look at Spier and Mackay - they have a large range at cheaper prices and you might be able to get a couple to try on.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like navy blue, and it suits you, then sure. But do not do it because some rule-bound forumites say so. At the same time, I wouldn't go for something too loud that makes you stand out too much as 'that guy in the crazy jacket'...I'd also recommend having a look at Spier and Mackay - they have a large range at cheaper prices and you might be able to get a couple to try on.

This is good advice, OP - especially considering your budget, which I'm assuming is in the range of the jackets you've posted so far.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to J Crew and pop your navy blazer cherry

bhammond

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Barena jackets, but they are not for everyone. They are extremely casual in fit, style and fabrics. The ones posted are on the more traditional side but they do not wear like a traditional blazer. Conceptually, they tend to act like overshirts (very thin material, absolutely no padding, usually no lining) or cardigans (knit, sometimes shaggy with, at most, an extra layer of fabric at the shoulders) but cut vaguely like a men's jacket. They are very short with slightly long sleeves and buttons are sometimes in really weird places. I've also had a tailor refuse to alter because they didn't want to mess with the french seams they sometimes use.

I dig them (I'm old & weird enough not to care much) but even I would opt for something a bit more standard for an actual 'business' meeting.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What industry are you in? What is the office culture? Are the meetings internal or with clients? Are your clients international? Will you wear the jacket for presentations or while speaking to groups?
The context is necessary to make an appropriate decision.
From the selections you made at Mr. Porter corduroy or cotton jackets will be inappropriate In certain environments.
In some situations a structured construction with a formal looking cloth will look out of place. You may want a cloth with texture that has a more casual, relaxed look if that works for your needs. Are you sensitive to the weight of garments you wear? You may buy something online and not know if the cloth will be too light weight or too heavy for your climate.
The jacket type, silhouette may be incompatible with your body type and just look wrong regardless. The silhouette is the proportions and shape of the jacket and vary from maker to maker. Silhouettes are on a continuum from casual to formal and everything in between. Unstructured jackets have a different vibe than jackets constructed with a full canvass and other features.
A little knowledge will help you making a decision.

Being your first jacket you should invest some time in actually trying jackets on. Spend time trying as many as possible for the area you live in. There is a learning process to discern which silhouette works for you and which ones don't. Some cuts may be more comfortable than others. You may need a lot of alterations to make a jacket fit or you or may find a maker that fits you with minimal, if any adjustments needed.
If the store has a tailor ask him about the fit and ask his opinion of what brands are better for you. He should know. Better to learn this way than hear how you look, good or bad, from others in your office.
Level of comfort should be considered along with any other factors or you will be miserable and not want to wear the jacket if it doesn't fit well. You can only know this by trying on the jacket. Easy to make a mistake buying something unknown in styling, cloth, cut, and fit.
The look of the jacket should fit your business environment, your personality and look right on you. Have met a lot of clients who don't know how a jacket should/could fit. They adapt to misfitted clothes because they have no alternative or didn't research the options. If you have a friend or know someone in the office who has more experience buying tailored clothes, ask him to assist you in picking a brand or a store to visit. Buying blind online is a crap shoot without knowing your sizing and how a jacket is cut. You may end up with a jacket that is too short, too tight, too loose or anything in between. Brands cut and style clothes for specific demographics. This has to be discovered. You could end up in a fashion brand with proportions that reflect a trend but doesn't flatter your body type. You could end up in such a conservative, blah cut that you look out of place in comparison to the style of your office.
Saying all this so you find something that you may enjoy wearing and avoid getting something that doesn't serve you well.
You are considering navy. There are so many shades of blue. Some shades will flatter your complexion more, some shades may render a casual or more dressy look. Don't get a blue that makes people think you are on holiday or taking a vacation. Don't get a blue cloth that can be used for a tuxedo.
If you get navy, consider getting a suit so you are prepared for a social event that may require more than a jacket. You can wear the jacket as a blazer without the suit trouser.

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's just for business casual meets, just get something you like and which fits you properly (or at least can be tailored to fit) - so make sure the shoulders fit first, because they are the least amenable to being altered). Don't listen to anyone who says that you have to have a traditionally-styled navy blue blazer first. You don't. That's based on very outdated and very class-specific codes of conduct and dress which really don't apply to most people. If you like navy blue, and it suits you, then sure. But do not do it because some rule-bound forumites say so. At the same time, I wouldn't go for something too loud that makes you stand out too much as 'that guy in the crazy jacket'. Most of the options you give are pretty safe anyway, except the light colored, seersucker one, which doesn't even seem like the same thing. I'd also recommend having a look at Spier and Mackay - they have a large range at cheaper prices and you might be able to get a couple to try on.

Who said anything about an Ivy style jacket? My navy Eidos Tenero sport coat gets much, much more use than any of my more traditional navy anythings.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you work in an environment where you're expected to wear a dark sport coat or suit, then I think those jackets you linked are too casual. If you work in an environment where you're just expected to dress "professionally"(e.g. no shorts or flip flops), but casualwear is OK, then I think those jackets can be fine.

FWIW, I found the Barenas to be difficult to wear. I think they work better for guys who have a slimmish figure and have shoulders that are much broader than their hips. Agree with the poster above who compared them to a cardigan or overshirt.

Here's an outfit where a poster here is wearing a Barena jacket. I think it looks good here, although I don't think this style looks as good on everyone.

tumblr_mzbp1pISEQ1qa2j8co1_500.jpeg

You can see how that has a very different look and vibe from this (in this specific outfit, you can swap the gold buttons for brown horn, if you want something more sedate).

31391129_2118470501755557_8142830867308347392_n.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One more thought to consider. Look at the above pictures and how the trousers effect the look. The first picture with casual cotton trouser and shoe. Tailored, pleated trouser in the second pic. If your entire trouser wardrobe is cotton trousers, choose a compatible jacket in cloth and construction. If you are wearing a tailored wool trouser, the jacket should be compatible in style and make. Point is to achieve a cohesive look. Info is meant to move you further down the learning curve and not to complicate this or overwhelm you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads