1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

For someone who doesn't get star struck...

[​IMG]

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

For someone who doesn't get star struck...

Star Struck = taking a picture with someone, making a big fuss, getting all excited, asking for an autograph

I notice my surroundings; but, would never do the above. Even then I don't think I pick up on half the people I walk by, encounter or see. My mother and I were standing at a stoplight at Park/60s a few months ago. Matt Lauer was right there next to us and I didn't know him from Adam.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Star Struck = taking a picture with someone, making a big fuss, getting all excited, asking for an autograph
    ... keeping a precise track of the places, dates and details of each of such encounter, then posting them on an internet forum

4. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I notice my surroundings; but, would never do the above. Even then I don't think I pick up on half the people I walk by, encounter or see. My mother and I were standing at a stoplight at Park/60s a few months ago. Matt Lauer was right there next to us and I didn't know him from Adam.

If John Madden hits on you or you make out with Dennis Franz I hope you bend your rules a little bit and get some pictures.

5. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I love that on this forum, where everyone has a 140+ IQ, 10 inch flaccid dick, and a rolodex of super models they've had sex with, also has members who are totally unimpressed by celebrities, walking among them like they're no one, yet they care enough to enumerate said encounters in impressive detail at the drop of a hat.

Please...

In any case, it isn't that hard to see many celebrities if you live in New York. Unlike LA, where people drive around, you'll often see people walking the streets. I've seen a number of people, but the one person I am actually sort of ashamed I didn't at least say hi to was Federer (with girlfriend) in NYC during the US Open. It was like Friday night before the Sunday finals. Saw them walking around madison around 11pm when all the shops were closed, window shopping.

It's one thing not to act like a total embarassment once you see someone, but I don't like when people act as if they're so incredible that they're unimpressed by someone famous. It's totally normal to be excited (varying levels of course) by seeing someone famous in the flesh, no matter how many of them you've seen.

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

It's one thing not to act like a total embarassment once you see someone, but I don't like when people act as if they're so incredible that they're unimpressed by someone famous. It's totally normal to be excited (varying levels of course) by seeing someone famous in the flesh, no matter how many of them you've seen.

Speaking as a well-endowed genius, why?

No really, why? I've never quite got why people were excited to meet celebrities in the flesh. I've met a number of famous people -- mostly politicians but some actors as well -- and interacted with them as was appropriate to where we were (mostly bars for some reason), but to be excited? A lot of things excite me, that fantastic blonde that keeps me just far enough away to keep me interested, for example, the famous don't.

7. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Speaking as a well-endowed genius, why?

No really, why? I've never quite got why people were excited to meet celebrities in the flesh. I've met a number of famous people -- mostly politicians but some actors as well -- and interacted with them as was appropriate to where we were (mostly bars for some reason), but to be excited? A lot of things excite me, that fantastic blonde that keeps me just far enough away to keep me interested, for example, the famous don't.

Probably because you need to get over yourself.

I don't mean exciting like you just got engaged or was given a bonus, I mean it's out of the ordinary. I don't read US Weekly and all that other shit, nor do I even watch a lot of mainstream film or television (with a few exceptions), but it's unique to see someone who is quite famous right in front of you, if not for anything else other than the fact that so much attention is centered around X person, and you are seeing the product right in front of you, which for most people is just an abstraction.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

... keeping a precise track of the places, dates and details of each of such encounter, then posting them on an internet forum

I have a very good memory.

Question: Do you go out of your way to look like a prick?

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Addition: Karen from The Office (with the red head chick that sold purses) at Nobu a month or so ago. Though I'm suprised I remember that. I guess most people can only recall something that happened within a weeks time and not within the past few months or few years.

I'd get really excited if I met Dwight Shrute (not Rainn Wilson)

10. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I have a very good memory.

Question: Do you go out of your way to look like a prick?

It's not about having a good memory, it's the fact that even though you're allegedly unimpressed and don't care about celebrities, you still take the time to "brag".

11. j

j Senior member Admin

It's not about having a good memory, it's the fact that even though you're allegedly unimpressed and don't care about celebrities, you still take the time to "brag".
    Man, you whine a lot.

12. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

Since I've lived in LA most of my life I've run into lots of famous/semi famous people. It's not generally a big deal, but one that I remember fondly was back in the early 90's when I worked at a kids' camp in Westlake Village during college and one of the kids was the daughter of Maureen McCormick, aka Marcia Brady. "Marcia Marcia Marcia" was in her late 30's but looked barely older than when she was on the Brady Bunch, and actually was kinda hotter. She was quite the MILF. [​IMG] [​IMG] Having watched the show as a wee kiddie with prepubescent lovie feelings for her, it was cool to be able to lust after her in person in a (slightly) more grown up way. [​IMG]

13. Aries

Aries Senior member

If John Madden hits on you or you make out with Dennis Franz I hope you bend your rules a little bit and get some pictures.

[​IMG]

14. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I've played poker with Brad Booth.
    Went to school/practiced/played with a few NHL players.
    I shook the Prime Minister's hand when I was in grade nine
    Met Winnie the Pooh at Disney World.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Did I say I did not care? No, I said that I am not "Star Struck" and wouldn't be all gushy, calling my friends on the phone or approach them. If I notice someone of coruse I will remember it and might perk up my day if I can relate to the person (i.e. Karen on a show I watch or David Crosby as I love CSN & somtimes Y) who I saw.
    I contributed to a thread, I didn't start it.

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

It really doesn't seem like a thread about bragging to me as much as it is a strange cultural phenomenon...

I met (wouldn't say know as I was very young at the time) a good number of the older generation of Hollywood celebrities, but can't think of any of the current crop which I have had any personal contact with.

17. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love that on this forum, where everyone has a 140+ IQ, 10 inch flaccid dick, and a rolodex of super models they've had sex with.

Well, truth be told, I don't know my IQ, it's only 8 inches flaccid and no rolodex, just 5 models.

18. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I live in LA and you see actors everywhere. Here's a list of people I've either seen while at the dog park or just walking my dog:

Debra Messing
    Ellen Pompeo
    Jake Gyllenhall
    Kirsten Dunst (I see her everywhere actually)
    Patrick Depsey
    Jay Mohr
    Punky Brewster (Soleil Moon Frye)
    Minnie Driver
    The woman who plays the evil admiral in Battlestar Galactica
    Drew Barrymore
    Jason Priestly
    Sandra Bullock

I'd say my dog has sniffed just about every crotch on that list, for real (like all Ridgebacks, he's a compulsive crotch sniffer).
    He's The Mack.

19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I do know Frank and Dweezil, never figured out what, if anything, Moon Unit has done.

Didn't Steve Earle do a Toyota commercial or something, "unwillingness to compromise his principles" [​IMG]

Which plastic surgeon attached a penis to Mystery?

Wrong Steve Earle. He didn't do a Toyota commercial. I mean, how effective could he be as a spokesman if you didn't know who he was?

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I

I'd say my dog has sniffed just about every crotch on that list, for real (like all Ridgebacks, he's a compulsive crotch sniffer).

As with your taste in clothes and art, I admire your taste in dogs. It's also comforting to know that it's not just our ridgeback (he's a pound foundling so the precise genetic mix is a mystery, but he's obviously mostly if not entirely ridgeback) that does that. Aside from that occasionally embarrasing habit, wonderful dogs.