Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

My point of view is irrelevant because I'm an Aussie, and you're an American? I don't think so.

I'm honestly not trying to start shit, but I only recognize 1 out of 5 names that are supposed to be celebrity. I realize there are differences with local and cultural celebrities. My point is just because they're known locally, doesn't make them celebrities. Celebrities are famous personalities known around the world, regardless of context.

How about as consolation, people explain who the celebrity is, like JSC4President did. Even though I know who Frank Miller is, not everyone would. It puts them in context, and you may realize that even though you don't know the name, you know the person's work.

Your point of view is not irrelevant, but your opinion of what constitutes celebrity is, and not because you are australian but because you are criticizing non-Australians. I think you're idea for the explanation is a good one.

If you've read the whole thread, a lot of these people aren't necessarily "celebrities" in the world famous sense, but the posters' encounters with them are interesting all the same. If you had met the Aussie PM, he would not be considered a "celebrity" but your anecdote about meeting him would likely be interesting to a lot of people, including me.

2. SField

SField Senior member

Your point of view is not irrelevant, but your opinion of what constitutes celebrity is, and not because you are australian but because you are criticizing non-Australians. I think you're idea for the explanation is a good one.

If you've read the whole thread, a lot of these people aren't necessarily "celebrities" in the world famous sense, but the posters' encounters with them are interesting all the same. If you had met the Aussie PM, he would not be considered a "celebrity" but your anecdote about meeting him would likely be interesting to a lot of people, including me.

+1

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not exactly a celebrity but Karen Gillibrand was sitting in the row behind me on the shuttle to DC yesterday morning. She has quite an entourage of brown-nosers fighting to be the one to put her stuff in the overhead bin... (I thought of Conne and his future) I played "spot the marshals" on that flight

4. binge

binge Senior member

I walked by Marisa Tomei the other day. She looked great (and short). Oddly enough, the next person after her was a nun in a full habit.

Talk about coincidences...I passed by a few nuns in the Mission on Sunday.

i just had dinner with abe vigoda, troy tulowitzki and rip taylor.

But, who had the most rhymes?

5. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm 6'2". He was actually a lot taller than I expected, but still pretty damn short.

WoWWWWwwwwWW!!

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Not exactly a celebrity but Karen Gillibrand was sitting in the row behind me on the shuttle to DC yesterday morning. She has quite an entourage of brown-nosers fighting to be the one to put her stuff in the overhead bin... (I thought of Conne and his future) I played "spot the marshals" on that flight

saw a cartoon while getting a shine that alluded to her having a big mouth/always yapping - is this the case?

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

saw a cartoon while getting a shine that alluded to her having a big mouth/always yapping - is this the case?

I don't know if it was because of her but there wasn't a second without three or 4 person chatter in these two rows.

8. willpower

willpower Senior member

i just had dinner with abe vigoda, troy tulowitzki and rip taylor.
    Did he order fish ?
    I walked by Marisa Tomei the other day. She looked great (and short). Oddly enough, the next person after her was a nun in a full habit.
    That was no nun, that was George Costanza

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I walked by J.Lo as she was filming some movie in Tribeca today. The ass is indeed quite fair.

10. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Not me, but an old co-worker just sent me a photo from tonight. He went out to dinner in Bethesda and ended up next to Lesko. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bobyoung7

bobyoung7 Well-Known Member

Emmitt Smith in Niketown Atlanta
    Gianni Versace at Lenox Square Mall Chick fil-a
    Michael Vick at ESPN Zone
    E. Lynn Harris (author) at grocery store
    Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, and John Starks in Friedman's Shoes
    Charles Barkley at Target

12. bobyoung7

bobyoung7 Well-Known Member

Hank Aaron at CNN Center
    Laurie Dhue at CNN Center before she went to Fox
    Evander Holyfield at a cookout

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Kirsten, not Karen! She is a bubbly/talkative woman (not a bad thing, IMO). I want to be her brown-noser [​IMG]

14. Alter

Alter Senior member

Kirsten, not Karen! She is a bubbly/talkative woman (not a bad thing, IMO).

I want to be her brown-noser [​IMG]

You mean that literally, don't you?

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Used to see Ted Turner all the time at the Ted's Montana Grill in downtown Atlanta. One of the waiters told me he lived in the penthouse in the building, but not sure if that's true. Nice enough guy. When I first noticed he was sitting at the table next to me, I guess I caught his eye with my "is that who I think it is" look of recognition, and he cracked a slight smile and went back to eating his bison meatloaf.