Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Just saw her in the Dallas airport a few minutes ago.

2. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

Seriously, who 90% are these "celebrities" you guys keep encountering? As a general rule, if they'd ever do a celebrity reality show, they aren't actually celebrities. If no one out side of your town has heard of them, they aren't actually celebrities. If they're a sports person but the only time they're on TV it's a sports program/game, they aren't actually celebrities.

Known != Celebrity.

3. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Today at a Starbucks in Hells Kitchen I saw Frank Miller. Frank Miller is probably one of the top 5 comic books artists and writers of all time (Ditko, Kirby, Lee, Miller, Moore). My all-time favorite. I have seen him a few times in the past month. I just didnt recognize him with his beard.

He also wrote Sin City, 300 (movies)

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^met him a long time ago, while i was at dc and my uncle knew him from marvel. strange dude.

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Seriously, who 90% are these "celebrities" you guys keep encountering? As a general rule, if they'd ever do a celebrity reality show, they aren't actually celebrities. If no one out side of your town has heard of them, they aren't actually celebrities. If they're a sports person but the only time they're on TV it's a sports program/game, they aren't actually celebrities.

Known != Celebrity.

You're an Aussie posting on a predominately American board; please shut the f*ck up about who we consider celebrities.

Do you see the Americans shitting all over people posting about soccer/football stars they've met?

6. SField

SField Senior member

My parent's building in New York has a ton of famous people in it.

When I lived further down the island Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon lived two floors up in my place.

7. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

^met him a long time ago, while i was at dc and my uncle knew him from marvel. strange dude.

Yah. I have seen him a few times lately... and i would ask myself "is that Frank Miller?" But back in the day he didnt have a beard. So i googled recent pics of him and sure enough, it was him.

He must live over near 9th ave.... because that is where i have been seeing him.

Actually, that is also the area where Steve Ditko lives. But since he is in his 80's, i am sure he no longer looks anything like his pictures.

ps... I am jealous that u got to work in that industry. that is awesome

8. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

You're an Aussie posting on a predominately American board; please shut the f*ck up about who we consider celebrities.

Do you see the Americans shitting all over people posting about soccer/football stars they've met?

My point of view is irrelevant because I'm an Aussie, and you're an American? I don't think so.

I'm honestly not trying to start shit, but I only recognize 1 out of 5 names that are supposed to be celebrity. I realize there are differences with local and cultural celebrities. My point is just because they're known locally, doesn't make them celebrities. Celebrities are famous personalities known around the world, regardless of context.

How about as consolation, people explain who the celebrity is, like JSC4President did. Even though I know who Frank Miller is, not everyone would. It puts them in context, and you may realize that even though you don't know the name, you know the person's work.

9. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Today in Los Angeles:
    Chastity Bono at Buddha's Belly on Beverly. Pre-op but already extremely manly.
    Michael Kors at Fred Segal on Melrose.

10. Psyren

Psyren Senior member

I met Jason Statham(sp?) in Dubai. The guy from those Transporter and Crank movies.

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

When I lived further down the island Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon lived two floors up in my place.
    I was at an open hockey session at Chelsea Piers when one of my buddies knocked Tim Robbins into next week with a clean hit...Robbins called the cops and the cops were all looking at him with quizzical expressions when he explained what happened. One officer asked him, "What would you like us to do sir?" and his response was "Arrest him for assault!" I know technically your a doosh for hitting at an open session but Robbins was knocking around with the rest of us, and talking lots of shit until he took his hit...that was the last I've seen him at Open Hockey. I;m embarrassed he is a Ranger fan.

Reminds me of a time I played roller against Benoit Hogue (former Islander) on LI, another d-bag. Bruce Driver (ex-Devil and Ranger) on the other hand is a gentleman...plays goal (and really well) on a mens team in NJ. Sme of my hockey celeb encounters.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^not surprising. typical actor asshole. bet leary is not so tough on the ice either.

13. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

A few hours ago on Bowery i say this dude who was on the show My So Called Life. The puerto rican dude who played Ricky.

So overall a pretty bullshit celebrity sighting... but for people who saw that show it might be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Cruz

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I walked by Marisa Tomei the other day. She looked great (and short). Oddly enough, the next person after her was a nun in a full habit.

15. romafan

romafan Senior member

My point of view is irrelevant because I'm an Aussie, and you're an American? I don't think so.

I'm honestly not trying to start shit, but I only recognize 1 out of 5 names that are supposed to be celebrity. I realize there are differences with local and cultural celebrities. My point is just because they're known locally, doesn't make them celebrities. Celebrities are famous personalities known around the world, regardless of context.

How about as consolation, people explain who the celebrity is, like JSC4President did. Even though I know who Frank Miller is, not everyone would. It puts them in context, and you may realize that even though you don't know the name, you know the person's work.

+1 The standard for what constitutes a 'celebrity' has changed dramatically in the age of People/Us magazine and cabel television.