Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Oh my God. I just met Lionel Messi at the Zara at 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica.

He's not just a celebrity, but the best footballer in the world. I felt super gay cause I was giddy for another 15 minutes after meeting him.

I managed to take a picture with him. I'll post it in a few.

Did he look really short in person?

2. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Did he look really short in person?
    [​IMG] I'm 6'2". He was actually a lot taller than I expected, but still pretty damn short.

3. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

Did she notice them or did you have to point them out to her?

In both instances, they noticed the shoes and struck up a conversation about them. Blue Becket's for Denise, and Museum Red Tamar's with the other lady.

Seriously considered converting all my shoes to Lobbs after that.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Paulie Walnuts (Tony Sirico) from the Sopranos lives in my neighborhood and had a conversation with my wife and year old daughter yesterday on 3rd Ave. He asked my wife if we were having a boy now, and she said yep (she's 7 months preg) and my daughter just laughed at him the whole time. Thing is, she probably recognized him from TV because for the past two weeks I've been re-watching from Season 1...now when he comes on screen, she smiles and claps...lol

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Today i saw that old school point guard for the Knicks named Mark Jackson. He was on 42nd street near Bryant Park walking around with a few kids (probably his).

This was cool for me to see, because i am a big Knicks fan. [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Jackson_(basketball)

My dad was his English teacher at Bishop Laughlin HS...we used to go watch him play when I was a kid!

6. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm 6'2". He was actually a lot taller than I expected, but still pretty damn short.

[​IMG]

I would fip out. I almost got to meet him through an Argentine friend of a friend.

I think he's actually my height.

Was he seriously all alone? I can't imagine other people didn't recognize him.

7. BP348

BP348 Senior member

I sat next to George Straight at a local resturant once. I guess he heard me ask my buddy, "Who's George Straight"? 'cuz he looked at me funny after I said it. [​IMG]

Back then I had just moved to Texas and had no clue who any Country singer was. Still don't [​IMG]

8. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm 6'2". He was actually a lot taller than I expected, but still pretty damn short.

thats awesome. i cant believe he's just chillin in santa monica, lol. And no one noticed him? He is kinda dressed as bum though.

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

thats awesome. i cant believe he's just chillin in santa monica, lol. And no one noticed him? He is kinda dressed as bum though.

If he wanted to throw people off, he should've worn a Nike shirt. No one would possibly belive that one of Adidas biggest soccer star would sport Nike.

10. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

It's probably because soccer isn't as popular in the US. It's sort of like how Michael Schumacher said he used to love going to the US on vacation because no one would recognize him.

My run-ins with celebs tend to be too brisk to say anything. I was eating at Milos in Montreal the night before the 06 F1 race and I went to go to the bathroom. As I walked past the bar, there was a giant group of people, mostly young model types, and in the middle was Flavio Briatore. As I moved through the crowd, I heard his assistant say, "Tara Reid wants to join you for dinner." Flavio replies, "Who?" But he was in my direct path to the staircase that led to the bathroom, so I had to make him step aside. [​IMG]

The following year, at Milos again, my friend and I ended up sitting next to the table with Jean Todt, Michelle Yeoh, and some of the Ferrari sponsors. The height difference between the Todt and Yeoh is more comical in person.

I ran into Michelle Pfeiffer when she was at my high school doing research for "Dangerous Minds." She definitely does not look as good without the make-up.

On that topic, I can't find the old thread where I got lambasted for seeing the VS Angels without make-up and saying they didn't look as good as they did in photos. Anyway, I was on my way back from LAX to DC on Virgin America after shooting the LA Auto Show. The gate next to me was a VA flight to NYC and "Fly With The Angels" was painted on the side. As I waited for my flight, the Angels and their entourage show up to board their flight; I could barely recognize Lima. Anyway, I saw a cute blonde walking around the terminal with a few of her friends. One of her friends says, "Hayden, the flight is over here." So now the VS Angels and Hayden Panettiere are on the same flight to NYC. I was ready to go to the counter to switch my tickets. [​IMG] Then I see a guy strolling down the terminal with a recognizable swagger. As he gets closer, I realize it's Pierce Brosnon to board that damn flight.

Then there was a time when Jenson Button on an ATV almost ran me over.

11. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

My wife and I bumped into Tina Fey and her husband when shopping for Christmas trees on the UWS this past December. I chatted with the husband for a few moments before realizing who they were.

I thought by now, Tina would have posted here saying " I bumped into mafoofan and his wife when shopping for Christmas trees on the UWS this past December. I stared a few moments before realizing who he was".

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I thought by now, Tina would have posted here saying " I bumped into mafoofan and his wife when shopping for Christmas trees on the UWS this past December. I stared a few moments before realizing who he was".

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The magic of google.

I typed in "Tina Fey Mafoofan" and here is the first hit:

First google hit.

And here's the actual google search.

13. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

A couple of months ago I had to go buy eggs at the Old Town Whole Foods and swear I saw David Simon walking around. Then when I was at the checkout I spotted him eating breakfast alone at the take out tables...thought it couldn't be him, then the next morning (a monday I think) he was on the local NPR station for an interview. Was going to bug him, but wasn't sure what I'd say that wouldn't make me look totally Ptarded...

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

Last week: Mark Green pressing the flesh @ Union Sq. Also, Dee Snider (well, all of Twisted Sister I guess, but I don't know any of the other guys) was at J&R signing records - a lot of freaks in that line! [​IMG] Every 2 minutes someone toward the back would scream out "Dee Snider!", and he would look up and give them a [​IMG]

15. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor