1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well, if it's on the internet...

lefty

1 person likes this.
  2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

We can't forgive her for that crime against humanity.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

A few months ago but I never posted: Kobe Bryant at the grocery store, buying milk.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Lol.. which store? Didn't know you were in LA! (doubt he was buying milk for a road game :p)

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I don't live in California but was staying in Newport for a week. [​IMG] Not sure what the store was called.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Kid Nickels

with Ziggy Marley… one irie-ass brother!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That's cool..

8. Kid Nickels

Thank you! It really was cool. I will say I don't get too worked up about celebs but it was truly amazing to be in his presence. He is so much like his father (from interviews I've seen and obviously his music). He gave me a hug and was so positive and gentle … I felt irie the whole rest of the night :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. otc

otc Senior member

A guy I sail with hit Bill Murray with his car.

Obviously I haven't heard Bill Murray's side of the story, but it sounds like he stepped into a slow residential street from behind some parked cars and the guy hit the brakes, leading to just a tap.

I don't think they had a discussion, but their faces looked about like this:
    "Oh shit I hit someone with my car"
    "Nah, I'm alright man, my bad--should have looked"
    "Oh shit I hit Bill Murray with my car"
    "Yup, Cya"

1 person likes this.
  10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I bumped into Lester Holt today on my walk to work. Almost as tall as I am, very well dressed in casual clothing. Seemed like a nice guy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  11. romafan

romafan Senior member

Fleshtones guitarist Keith Streng getting on the #1 train, 14th Street :wow: :slayer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Alter

Alter Senior member

Cool one, Roma.

13. Kid Nickels

Ran into Donald Sterling who was perusing the sale rack at Bloomingdale's in Century City on Monday. Talked to him for a couple minutes about law and basketball... dude is way old, super crusty and truly weird.

14. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Ric Flair at a bar
    Lawrence Fishburne at the supermarket
    Drake at the same supermarket
    All the guys from Suits (same tailor in Toronto)

A good amount of athletes, but they're always hanging around the city.

Never really approached any of them except for Flair. Just people like anyone else, but it's cool to see them outside their element.

1 person likes this.
  15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've met Fishburne a couple of times. I used to work at a high end dept store in Toronto and he liked one of my products. Wife was/in town shooting with Suits so he'd pop in occasionally and buy stuff. Nice enough guy and pretty non-chalent about being 'celebrity'. I think most of them are just normal people who just want to get through their day without a hassle. Imagine you're just an accountant and everywhere you go people are constantly like oh man I saw those spreadsheets you did wow I'm a big fan etc. They're actors, it's a role and a job and a pretty cool one, but they're still just people. They're good at what they do, but like half the job is done for them. They aren't their characters... it's a script, that's rehearsed and reshot over and over, and there's professional wardrobe, and makeup, and editing, etc. They're nowhere as cool as their characters. And this isn't meant to be negative at all.

1 person likes this.
  16. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

My user name being a reference to the Matrix films, I would greet Fishburne with "It's an honour." Would make me wet my pants if he replied, "No, the honour is mine."

Ironic part is, my mom bumped into him on a plane to DC a few years ago. Said he was very chill.

17. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

What if I told you... [something something something funny joke]

18. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Buncha people see me everyday.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You have a mom? I could have sworn you were a test tube baby.

20. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Yeah it was pretty funny the last time I saw him he was at the grocery store trying to choose cabbages with his young daughter. Since he was going between red and normal I had the perfect chance to say "take the red pill, take the blue pill" but he looked just as miserable as me to be at Loblaws at 9 on a Sunday so I just gave him a sympathetic nod.

Agreed, having been on TV more times than I can count (as a guest on the news) I can tell you the lustre wears off after maybe the 3rd appearance. It's just a job at that point, and for them, a very long and tedious one at times. I have no idea how they do it, as even a 30min shoot is totally draining.

The exception being Ric Flair. The man has become the character for better or worse. I saw him at the Sazerac lounge in New Orleans and it ended with us doing a shot of bourbon, him yelling WOOOOO and then doing his chicken strut. Top 10 moments of my life and I'm not even a wrestling fan.

1 person likes this.