1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

I was going to a showing of Dodgeball on the opening night but not at a premiere or anything. Just a theater in LA. And as I was walking up the stairs, my friend points and says "hey look, Samuel L Jackson." And since the stairs were curving, and I was looking back at my friend and continuing to walk, I walked LITERALLY into who appears to be Samuel L Jackson's wife (okay, I just did a Google of her and yes, it is his wife). At first, I thought they just knew each other. I apologized, she apologized, and then we just walked on into the entrance of the theater room.

My brother has seen Matt Damon playing poker in Vegas. Also, he's seen Jennifer Tilly playing poker. He says she is amazingly good looking for her age.

2. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

Oh, as I was reading other posts, I remembered a few more. On the day the iPhone came out, I was in line and Roger Craig was walking all by himself and had a small bag in his hand. This was at the Stanford Shopping Mall in Palo Alto, CA. We (my brothers and I) went "hey, Roger Craig" and raised our hands and waved. He simply smiled "hey guys" and then walked on by. He's a former 49ers running back.

Oh, and I did the whole Bill Clinton book signing. But that doesn't count, right?

I read some of the other posts. I guess I only remember the details because it is exciting. I didn't take pictures. That's sorta disrespectful.

I actually forgot all about these moments. But when you read about a forum about it, it brings up memories. You think you've forgotten. But it comes back. So to the people who complain that people have precise memories of these events, it's not because they were so excited they wrote it down, but the image comes back in fine detail only if you do something to bring it back. For example, I remember Roger Craig was wearing white colored pants and shades. I didn't write it down. In fact, I've forgotten all about it. But it comes back. Read enough neurobiology and you'll be amazed at what the brain can do.

I know I'll probably get flames for so many reasons. But I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. People just react differently to these things. For me, at the moment, it's like "hey, that guy is famous." And then the moment dies and is lost forever. And then years later, on a forum, when asked to recall, it comes back in amazing detail.

Bill Clinton was wearing a pink tie and a light blue shirt when I met him. He shook my hand and asked "how are you?" I said "good." And then was so awestruck that I didn't reciprocate and ask him how he was doing. Just stood there. After I shook his hand, I stepped back about 5 feet. And almost forgot to get the book once he signed it.

Oh, and lastly, I saw Mikhail Gorbachev at the Stanford Mall once. I did stop and look and saw that he was window shopping at some chocolates. He had no entourage. I'm sure he had body guards but I wasn't paying attention really. Just walked by, did a double take. Stopped, noticed he was looking at chocolates. Then walked on.

Oh, and when I say excited or exciting, I don't mean like a little schoolgirl. I guess exciting is not the right word. I mean, sorta out of the ordinary.

Of all the people I've seen, the one person I probably would want to talk to is Mikhail Gorbachev. After studying all about the history of the Soviet Union in college, seeing the man that ended it all is a bit amazing. And shopping for high end chocolates at the Stanford Mall of all places. And no, Ronald Regan did not single handedly end the Soviet Union. Regan gets way too much credit. But that's another thread.

3. Karo

Karo Senior member

I once saw Jimmy Kimmel and his wife at Saks NY. Oh and I saw Yan the Chinese chef (Yan can cook),he stayed at the hotel where I worked before. I guess thats pretty much sums up the highlight of my life.

4. djs488

djs488 Senior member

I was on martha's vineyard with some buddies about 3 years ago, and we were out getting ice cream. I was ahead of the group and ordered first (it was a popular place, so the line was long). I was wondering why it was taking the rest so long to get to the line. I turned around to see them helping someone change their tire. It was Jake Gyllenhaal.

I also saw Jay-z and beyonce on the beach on martha's vineyard, but there was no encounter as they had half a dozen body guards around them.

5. mbc

mbc Senior member

I was on martha's vineyard with some buddies about 3 years ago, and we were out getting ice cream. I was ahead of the group and ordered first (it was a popular place, so the line was long). I was wondering why it was taking the rest so long to get to the line. I turned around to see them helping someone change their tire. It was Jake Gyllenhaal.
    I went to high school with Jake Gyllenhaal. He was a punk.

6. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

After 15 pages it's finally occurred to me to ask. Anybody ever go to bed with a celebrity?

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

After 15 pages it's finally occurred to me to ask. Anybody ever go to bed with a celebrity?

Define celebrity.

8. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

OK. Being famous through a reality TV show doesn't count. No Survivor contestants, in other words, although they do come across as easy. She (or he) has to be known in some circles for some sort of accomplishment that some type of media pays attention to. Local newsbabe, member in a band known to the cogniscenti (drummer for The Muffs, say), an actress with a small speaking roles in a couple of indie films all count as does, obviously, a close encounter of the best kind with a household name.

Why do you ask, pray tell?

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Okay...bj with the drummer of an Emo (I guess?) band and a fashion designer here or there.

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

In 1994, Spaulding Gray signed a 1 Pakistani Rupee note I used to carry around in my wallet.

11. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Okay...bj with the drummer of an Emo (I guess?) band and a fashion designer here or there.

I forgot to say that the celebrity has to be named or they are just regular ol' anonymous people and not celebrities.

12. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Well the drummer is from Something Corporate and that was Freshmen year of college before they were THAT big of a deal (not sure how big of a deal they ever came).

This is still a fashion board and I won't name names in terms of the others; but, I'm fine with that. Don't need to provide deposit anything into your spank bank.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Thom Browne?

Jon.

14. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I forgot to say that the celebrity has to be named or they are just regular ol' anonymous people and not celebrities.

I think an exception needs to be made for married individuals. I got lucky with a local newscaster, but she was married. Anne Rice's son wanted to get lucky with me, but I declined. He was really drunk and kinda got insulting about it at the end.

15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thom Browne?

Jon.

If that ever happened, SoCal's head (yes, both) would effing explode. I'm talking splitting atoms explosion. He'd probably start speaking like Billy Bob Thornton in "Slingblade" just from the sheer amazement.

16. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think an exception needs to be made for married individuals. I got lucky with a local newscaster, but she was married. Anne Rice's son wanted to get lucky with me, but I declined. He was really drunk and kinda got insulting about it at the end.

We need to hang out, you seem to lead a very interesting life[​IMG]

Ron Jeremy's looks are not what made him famous.

17. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Don't need to provide deposit anything into your spank bank.

It's just gossip, there's no need to take a gratuitous dig at me. You didn't have to post if you didn't want to.

Nick

18. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Frankly I've met Thom Browne now and then and I need good teeth to turn me on...also height helps.

19. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

My family used to go to Park City to ski in the winter and the place just crawled with celebs. We regularly saw Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman (super nice people and family!), Michelle Pfeiffer [​IMG], etc.

Once had a drink with actor/director Peter Berg over a great hour long conversation. He asked what I did and I mentioned I was an i-banker at the time so he had a ton of basic financial questions. Late 90s in the village at some luxury hotel in Soho.

Used to see many actresses in my old West Village neighorhood. I was on Waverly between 6th and Christopher and a few moved into the neighborhood. It was a very nice street. Our slumlord cashed out and made a fortune on his townhomes.

Jenna Bush was at a local bookstore recently. She is gorgeous. [​IMG]

On a trip to Milan once I stayed in the Four Seasons and Princess Fergie was there with her Italian boyfriend having lunch at the next table.

20. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

It's just gossip, there's no need to take a gratuitous dig at me. You didn't have to post if you didn't want to.

Nick

Lighten up. We're talking about sex here with people who normally wouldn't get much if they didn't have some sort of "fame".