1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by caelte, Sep 2, 2007.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Was just in Paris a couple of weeks ago (I think it was fashion week?) and walked past Scott Schuman, said to my GF hey I think that was Schuman, turned and jogged back with her and said hi. He seemed hesitant to shake a hand even but otherwise friendly enough. Just said hi to him, he noticed an accent (Canadian), and we said laters go shoot some fashion stuff just wanted to say hi. 1. Yes, he's somewhat short and stocky but not really little or anything, 2. the GF was more interested in his GF lol (wasn't with him at the time).

Oh, also, was walking around Paris, hit up Royal Palace area and popped into the Rick Owens store. Small shop so not much to see, but as soon as I walked in, sort of paused because there is a full sized exact wax replica of Rick up on a podium decked out in his clothes looking straight at me. Looked at the 20-30 things on the rack and walked out. I only recognized the statue as Rick because recently on some fashion discussion thread they were talking about guys who actually wear their own designs. Next day I'm walking along the Seine and the GF goes check out what that guy's wearing, and I look across the street and say um I'm 99% sure that's actually Rick Owens I'm going to go say hi. So ran across the street, tapped him on the shoulder and said hi, I was just at your shop yesterday what's up. He says oh hello. pretty tall, and very muscular, lean but well built, sort of in the way basketball players are. I'm wearing red bengal seersucker button down and wide blue linen pants and white purcells. I say to him I love his look but don't know if I can actually pull it off. He says you've got a nice body, give it a shot. I take off my sunglasses and he says you've got really nice eyes. I go, well I work with what i've got I guess. No homo really, though he was quite softspoken and all that. seemed like he was just taking a walk down the street or whatever. Anyway, probably more interesting guy to meet than most celebs from the screen IMO.

3 people like this.
  3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

You and me both.

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

:butbut: he seemed like a straight shooter...

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

pB ... sometimes I think you're just pulling our collective legs when you claim not to know who anyone is but really sometimes it's baffling! :D

at least you've heard of Nas, but Jay-Z the best hip hop artist? Most successful perhaps, but best... not by a long shot.

Master-Classter great story, very cool... what a way to run into Rick. He's from SoCal so it sounds like he's still a mellow Cali boy living in Paris.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

This.

7. patrickBOOTH

I couldn't tell you any of their songs, nor would I recognize them. Dead serious.

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Straight up, if I bumped into Nas on the sidewalk, I wouldn't know who I'd bumped into.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

10. patrickBOOTH

Well apparently nobody else noticed him at this place either. My girlfriend (a huge hip hop fan) couldn't believe it. The girl he was with was extremely starry-eyed, however.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'm absolutely horrible with celebrities (especially any of them that became famous after, say, 1985). I remember back in the day, when i'd go to spago for dinner i'd have to ask the paparazzi outside who had been in that night. of course, there were exceptions ... like the night i made pizza for george burns and jimmy stewart, and then made pasta for audrey hepburn. Same night I watched Valerie Perrine sit across the bar from me and take about 15 minutes to eat a strawberry. i was frozen stiff. yeah, frozen, that's the word.

3 people like this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

I was going to write in here that I saw you walking down the street, but it just turned out to be Joe Lhota ex-MTA chairman and mayoral candidate.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

it reminds me of the time I was inside the guggenheim and saw Thom Browne. He had the thom browne costume on (typitcal short short jacket, short pants exposed ankles and no socks). he was small (about 5'9" ish ) but had perfect posture and looked taller.

I ditch my wife and hang outside the museum eating a mr. softe ice cream cone thom brown walks over sits right next to me with an old school metal lunch pale and thermos and starts eating a sandwich. He then looks up and asks me if the ice cream is good. He finishes his food then gets a cone for himself and walks off.

the next morning I had a NYRR race to run in central park. it was only a 4mile race and I was planning to get in 8 miles so I showed up early to run 4miles pre race. While running near the 70+ street entrance thom browne runs over from a middle path, nods at me, and says "I'm working off that ice cream" smiles and runs towards central park west.

3 people like this.
  14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

damn, that is a little scary. i'm much better looking. when you see me up close, i mean.

15. patrickBOOTH

You'd also be a better mayor.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I can vouch for that. :)

There may soon be a window of opportunity in San Diego.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  17. sonick

sonick Senior member

I just followed foodguy on twitter.

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

it should be noted for the record that lawyerdad is, well, a lawyer. judge his veracity accordingly.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

Nice...

[​IMG]

lefty

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yes, that issue played a big part in my upbringing. dang she was a pretty girl.