• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underwear color

the_sulks

Reaction score
It is a bit of the intimate question. Do boxers/trunks/briefs have to match with either undershirt or pants? I prefer white undershirts since they don’t show through both light and dark shirts. However, I don’t like white boxers as they don’t match with my grey or navy pants. That is the reason I prefer to match my boxers with pants. However, both white undershirt and boxers look perfectly coordinated as opposed to the case when boxers are grey/navy and undershirt is white.

Last edited:

laundry day

Reaction score
For underwear, if it is clean, fits, has no holes, and is comfortable, I will wear it. I don't really think about color coordination, matching textures, or matching formality with undergarments.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your underwear is not visible (and it should not be), this should not matter at all. I can understand how a shirt would be a bit see-through and why one might like a white undershirt (though I have heard a very light grey is actually better for this purpose), but pants generally should not be.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, no one can see your underwear and pants at the same time, so who cares if they match?

indeed, however dark underwear is more practical I prefer navy

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
indeed, however dark underwear is more practical I prefer navy
only if you don't wash thoroughly and regularly....or you have some type of "condition."

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only if you don't wash thoroughly and regularly....or you have some type of "condition."
You got me.
To be honest though, what I had in mind were sweat stains. I do a lot of sports and I don't compromise when playing basketball.
I like my vital parts to be supported by my best boxerbriefs. White underwear/clothes do not stay snow-white long enough, yes you can
remove those stains but why bother if you can just buy navy briefs which don't show as much/any color deterioration. Plus your rear
always looks good in navy regardless of you complextion.

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For underwear, if it is clean, fits, has no holes, and is comfortable, I will wear it. I don't really think about color coordination, matching textures, or matching formality with undergarments.

Amen.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You got me.
To be honest though, what I had in mind were sweat stains. I do a lot of sports and I don't compromise when playing basketball.
I like my vital parts to be supported by my best boxerbriefs. White underwear/clothes do not stay snow-white long enough, yes you can
remove those stains but why bother if you can just buy navy briefs which don't show as much/any color deterioration. Plus your rear
always looks good in navy regardless of you complextion.

Get navy boxer briefs. Don't worry whether they match or don't match.

konoyaro

Reaction score
The exception here is if you plan to wear white pants. Seems grey would be a good all rounder here as it does not tend to show through light colored clothes.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The exception here is if you plan to wear white pants. Seems grey would be a good all rounder here as it does not tend to show through light colored clothes.

Yeah. My comment was based on OP liking navy boxer briefs and tending to wear navy or grey trousers. Light grey is better for wearing with white pants.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not the OP i just got caught in the crossfire, but your comment for light grey is appreciated and will be remembered, not sure I will ever wear white pants though

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color doesn't matter. Since when is "perfectly coordinated" a virtue? All of my undershirts are gray, almost all of my underwear is navy.

If you're concerned about sweat stains, wear different undergarments for exercising. I wear technical underwear for exercise and sports.

jt10000

Reaction score
If your underwear is not visible (and it should not be), this should not matter at all. I can understand how a shirt would be a bit see-through and why one might like a white undershirt (though I have heard a very light grey is actually better for this purpose), but pants generally should not be.

Yeah. Though the best color undershirt under a dress shirt that is a bit see-through varies a little depending on color of skin. I'm a black guy, not super-dark, and white is a fail under light colored shirts. Medium gray is good and black tolerable.

Also, a few "summer" pants, such as light-colored linen pants or shorts,may be a bit see-through..

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

To be honest though, what I had in mind were sweat stains. I do a lot of sports and I don't compromise when playing basketball.

Yes, sweat stains are a real nuisance with white underwear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads