• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understated Luxury.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been obsessed with the idea of understated luxury lately. This is a great story on a woman's store in NYC, but the ideas apply to everything this forum stands for. Watch the video too. What is your take on a logo-less, perfectly made world? Also, name some brands you think fits into this category. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1195...iews_days_only

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Is this stealth wealth?

I think they are different things that are similar and overlap.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the proprietor seems intent on quality and detail over mass marketing appeal , the clients seem to be more focused on the Exclusive nature of her product more than its quality.

In that way it differs totally from this fora and others of its ilk.

A quality mens suit will be a lifetime investment because if its quality.

Most of these womens items will be a 6 month-1 year deal.

blnee

Reaction score
The idea of "logoless" apparel is similar in approach to custom men's clothing. It forces the buyer to educate themselves about quality and to spend time determining their preferences at the risk of overpaying.

However, women's clothing seems so different in approach because it is so fleeting (as was mentioned before). Certainly there are some staples that are timeless but in contrast I could pick up a suit from the 1920s and not seem out of place.

I do like the idea of purchasing products without labels. As someone with a reticent personality I don't like things that tell people more than I need them to know. A label always seems to come with preconceived notions about willingness to pay, knowledge of product, social status, etc. however right or wrong.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Ms. Markbreiter bought an Oscar de la Renta handbag recently, she removed the logo tag
Why bother? Isn`t the tag on the inside of the bag anyway? Besides, no one will recognize an Oscar de la Renta bag.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blnee
I do like the idea of purchasing products without labels. As someone with a reticent personality I don't like things that tell people more than I need them to know. A label always seems to come with preconceived notions about willingness to pay, knowledge of product, social status, etc. however right or wrong.

I agree. I have worn visible logos and still wear a few items that have them. However, my preference is to avoid them.

erdavis

Reaction score
I don't wear anything with a logo, ever. The reason is that the style and design should be its calling card.

Also, I figure why should I be a billboard for someone by wearing their logo?

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdavis
I don't wear anything with a logo, ever. The reason is that the style and design should be its calling card.

+1. While I can't say that I never wear anything logoed b/c I still have some things with subtle logos on them from my pre-SF.Net days. Most are t-shirts and even then most have been relegated to the gym wardrobe drawer of my armoire. That being said, I do agree with the quote above and like to think that my current wardrobe is slowly evolving (and maturing) in that direction

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdavis

Agreed

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a tangent, the logo-free philosophy is practised to a greater extent by others. I remember reading a blog by someone who removed the names/logos from everything, not only clothes. I saw a documentary on Will Self who had the logo of his car's name removed not only from the exterior of his car but the manufacturer's name was ground off the engine block. Commitment indeed...

I can't understand why anyone would buy the vulgar LV products. Of course those who buy LV buy because of the logo, I suppose.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
. I saw a documentary on Will Self who had the logo of his car's name removed not only from the exterior of his car but the manufacturer's name was ground off the engine block. .[/QUOTE said:
That is the coolest thing ever...

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the removal of logos and swearing off ever wearing them may be a bit too far in the other direction. I'm not a fan of logos, I avoid them, but I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid having the stupid little polo pony on a casual shirt . . . now if it's the "big" pony on the other hand . . . something like that is so obtrusive that it actualy interferes with the look of the garment.

I'm torn on the LV issue. I hate what the brand has become, and the monogrammed everything, I mean it's truly absurd (and neither my wife or I buy it anymore for that reason), but I have some respect for the historical significance of the monogram for the brand. I think the LV monogram and the Burberry tartan are probably two of the saddest examples of the decline of a logo; not only are they overused, but they were once great.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose reverse label snobbery is better than regular garden variety snobbery but it isn't all that different.

At then end of the day, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a logo that I think looks okay. I don't care much for the look of large logos but I won't avoid buying something that I consider good looking and well made simply for the fact that it has some sort of logo.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand having a preference for logo-less clothing (in many cases I do) but removing labels from the inside of clothes just seems silly and pointless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads