• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Understanding eBay Jacket Measurements

JimmyT

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm still in the process of losing weight rather quickly and while I've lost 60lb in the past 10 weeks, I still have 40 more to goal (over the next 4-5 months).

With my job, I can get by without wearing a sportcoat or suit with the exception of a couple of events this fall and again, at the end of next spring. All of my jackets are 50R and I am now a 43R and realize that I will most likely land somewhere between a 38 - 40 when all is done.

At my current weight I'm more of a standard cut and am wondering about buying a sportcoat or two on eBay for the near term realizing I'll only get a few wearings out of it.

An example: http://cgi.ebay.com/HICKEY-FREEMAN-g...d=p3286.c0.m14

Two questions about interpreting the measurements:

1. Although this coat is labeled 43R, it states the chest is 46...I went to BB and the Polo outlet this weekend and am clearly a 43R...might this jacket be too large?

2. The waist on the jacket is 44...am I correct in assuming that this would be considered a portly cut and would fit me with a 36 waist more like a sack?

The other measurements I am comfortable with...thank you in advance for any help.
--JT

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss: 60lbs in 10 weeks is a lot!

As for jacket measurements, yes, the measured chest is typically 2-3 inches more than the labeled size of the jacket. For example, most 42R jackets of mine measure 44", that is 22" from pit-to-pit, then doubled.

Check out: How To Measure a Jacket for more info.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To add a little to Binge's comment, the amount of chest allowance will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from suit model to suit model. These days, the trend is for slimmer cuts, meaning it's common to see allowances of 2 inches. But traditionally three or four was much more common. Some ultra-slim models nowadays have negative chest allowances, meaning the chest measurement is actually smaller than the tagged size. I'm a true 38, but I have some some RL Black Label that is almost too small at a size 40. (Ralph's sizing is all over the map -- some cuts are very traditional, others very slim.)

I'd suggest that you both determine your true chest measurement and then measure out some coats that you think fit well, to see how much of an allowance you prefer. As you're shrinking, you might pick up some slimmer ones, so that you'll extend their service as much as possible.

As for the waist on your coats, that's easy to alter. I often have mine nipped in. Just make sure the shoulders, chest and length fit you well.

Congrats on the weight loss, btw. That's quite an achievement.

dk123

Reaction score
I have encountered jackets that are even +5 over the size on occasion.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And is it just me, but does that particular jacket linked by the OP look more like an orphaned suit jacket than a sport coat? A grey pinstripe sport coat?

And to add to what Doc said, if you're at 43 now and looking to drop some more weight, maybe look for a 42R as an intermediate jacket rather than a 43R. The 42R is such a common size, you'll have more to choose from.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Thanks folks,

The linked jacket isn't one I was considering purchasing, it was just an example for the measurements given on eBay.

Everything seems pretty clear now.

Regards,
--JT

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in my usual warning that maybe 50% of the measurements on ebay are WRONG.

It takes skill to measure a jacket carefully, and most sellers lack the skill (or the patience) to do it right consistently.

Bid accordingly and you will be happy

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%